Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

onboard graphics vs. nvidia 5500 pci

• Please log in to reply

meswoleshane

meswoleshane

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a hp pavilion with a 515 intel p4 proc. 2.93 ghtz.1mb l2 cache, 533mhz fsb.
512 ram-pc3200,ddr sdram
120 gig hd-7200rpm

it has intel graphics media accelerator with up to 128 mb shared video ram.
It also has a sound card.-don't remember the type. think 24 bit?

I have a pci nvidia 5500 256mb card sitting around. I have heard that these cards are horrible, but is it better than what I have now?

also I brought up the config thing when I turned on the computer "f1" not sure but I think its called bios???? anyways it has video opions, it can be switched between pci and onboard, and the onboard could be changed. It looked to me like you could adjust the amount of memory it could use, it could be turned down to 64mb or up to 256mb, so, I guess my question is what is that, and what does it mean?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well the 5500 would eb much better, it is a proper GPU on it for gaming use, and most importantly it has its own onboard memory, the intel onboard uses your system ram(thats what that setting is how much the controller steals your ram) and it uses some of your cpu power as well. So the 5500 is the far better option.

meswoleshane

meswoleshane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
if I had more ram and turned up the onboard video would it be faster? work better for games?

I plan on useing the pci video card but I'm just curious.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Onboard graphics falls into the category "cheap and cheerful".

It'll never beat a separate card for gaming no matter how much memory you throw at it. Even PCI cards are better than onboard stuff BUT AGP/PCI-Express cards will wipe the floor with both of them.