Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no proccessor fan, can I start up computer

• Please log in to reply

jgladieux

jgladieux

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, 1st time on this forum.......I have a friend who gave me a computer not sure what it is yet cause I haven't turned it on nor does he remember :tazz: ....He said :) the motherboard starts beeping after it starts up, It's also missing the processor fan because he misplaced it....My question is two fold, what may be causing the beeping? and can I turn on the computer for short periods to check out the system without fear of frying the processor

Advertisements

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
i doubt it'll last a minute, CPU's especially high end ones can fry in 30 secs. The beeping is POST operations. It should be normal, unless it beeps more than once, if so, turn it straight off! Never turn on a PC with out the CPU fan, get one soon. if it's a fairly high end one, get a Zalman 7700 or Thermaltake. If it's medium end one, get any onld one, best if it's the Scythe Ninja, it's got no fan but cools better than ones with fans, you can add one if you need it

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hi, 1st time on this forum.......I have a friend who gave me a computer not sure what it is yet cause I haven't turned it on nor does he remember :tazz: ....He said :) the motherboard starts beeping after it starts up, It's also missing the processor fan because he misplaced it....My question is two fold, what may be causing the beeping? and can I turn on the computer for short periods to check out the system without fear of frying the processor

It's probably beeping because it's got no processor heatsink and fan.
How can somebody misplace something critical to a computer?

Never use a computer without a heatsink and fan under any circumstances.

Anyway if you want to know what type of speed it is, it'll say on the processor itself.

mcpscomp

mcpscomp

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 180 posts
I got my P3 733mh ran without knowing fan was dead for about 25min befor it beep. the task it was doing is check disk. But with the very first P4 1.4mh, it last me only about 30 seconds. and the differrence was the P3 still running now and the P4 HAD NEVER WAKE UP AFTER.
So in my opinion, if you think it is P4, don't even think of it .

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
it doesn't matter what processor it is, just flat out not a good idea to run without a fan and heatsink. You don't necessarily have to go out and get a fancy cooler either, just a standard heatsink block and fan is still much better than nothing at all. Most motherboards these days shut themselves off when it gets too hot for it to handle, but you can't guarantee that no damage has already been done by that point.

jgladieux

jgladieux

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It's probably beeping because it's got no processor heatsink and fan.
How can somebody misplace something critical to a computer?

Never use a computer without a heatsink and fan under any circumstances.

Anyway if you want to know what type of speed it is, it'll say on the processor itself.

It starting beeping before he ever removed the fan, it's a continuing beep. His mother threw it out by accident :tazz: :) , I'll check out the processor for the speed but how do I determine what type of socket it is so I can get the correct fan?

Thef0rce

Thef0rce

• PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
hehe. I've got continuous beeps in the past from pc's that have no ram in them. if you can identify the processor type, you're on your way to finding out what socket it is, or even the motherboard brand. I don't know, usually I can tell what kind of socket something is by looking at it but either the processor type or motherboard brand will make it easier for you to figure it out.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The mobo will have at least its model number and make on it which you can then look up, socket type is irrelevant to what fan the system will use thats dependant on the heat sink, it will proably be an 80mm although its possible it could be a 120mm or even a 60mm although those are remote chances, its proabably an bog standard 80mm.

Once you have the mobo model you can get its manual from the net and look up its beep codes.

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
yer, some times for me, it beeps when it's over the safe temp set in the BIOS so just be aware of that

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
you can find the socket number written just above the processor, if theres no heatsink itll be easy to spot.