Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Another dumb question

• Please log in to reply

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP

have you ever seen an electrical engineer standing barefoot on tinfoil.

i have....but we still haven't been able to deduce the actual amount of alcohol consumed that night

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
hmmm...i was working under the principle that if im already discharged it wont spark...

Lmao @ dsenette

Edited by comanighttrain, 20 February 2006 - 04:01 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
wrong post

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If the case is still charged it will, you can hook yourself uo to a vanderwalls generator and build a computer without problem technically as long as there isnt any potential difference.

In fact you should technically doing the exact opposite and insulating yourself would also work, if youve ever mucked around with a van de graff generator you know the principle. I miss physics it was great back in HS i did it all the way up to a first year of uni level at HS was great, but i cant do it with Chem Eng it sucks.

Next threads discussion electron levels and emmision in semiconductors.

Edited by warriorscot, 20 February 2006 - 04:48 PM.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
By the way, it's Van de Graaff generator.

Oh, what fun we had.

:tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
So it is, duly corected, sorry been brushing up on my chemistry got a test on friday its all floating around in here and all these van de blokes get confusing at times. What is it with central europeans and physics eh, cant they have published under false easy to remember names that way i wouldnt have to remember them.

Edited by warriorscot, 20 February 2006 - 04:50 PM.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Duly noted. :tazz:

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
ohhh yeahhhh.....a basic disipation...like heat? The greater the difference the greater the...well...discharge...

So why does being hooked to the case help? (man i cant believe i forgot this, i loved physics)

I mean i dont asssume the case is charged

Edited by comanighttrain, 20 February 2006 - 05:25 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well it may have a charge in fact it will have at least some, and so will you. But its the difference, if its negative and your positive zap(thats as dumbed down as it gets). By touching it you share the charge between you and the system there is then no difference and hence there will be no discharge even if you and the case were both highly charged you would be equal in charge so nothing would happen.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Anti-Static wrist bands are for wimps :tazz:

But the components these days are so good and generally resisilent to static as it stands - usually have to do something REALLY stupid AND deliberate to kill it from static now.

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
im the torch man, i can do it

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They are just as vulnerable to static as any other part at any other time, if it gets static on any of the electronics its pretty much gone. Its just that with all metal cases nowadays its hard not to touch the case and static wasnt a hugely common thing.