Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Connection Intermittently Disappearing; Suspect Mal/Adware or

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

gruurly

gruurly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello,

well, my system seems freed of yucky stuff now, which is great! But unfortunately I am still unable to get my wireless device working, which is what started this whole exploration.

What do you suggest I try now, or should I move over to the networking forum now?

Advertisements

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
What happens when you try to install the driver for your wireless?

gruurly

gruurly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
There are two ways to install it: either through the Control Panel or through running the program that comes along with the driver.

If I install through the control panel, the LAN adapter isn't recognized as being attached to my system, and there is no listing of this specific adapter in the XP compatibilies (drivers) even though this has been successfully installed in the past. I then try and install a new device through the control panel, and I get a blank screen (i.e. the driver isn't recognized on this system). BUT, if I did this while I still had the packet recognized on the system, the driver was recognized, but it wouldn't install successfully (having an exclamation point next to the packet and no main LAN adapter installed).

When I install through the program, I get all the way through until the end, where it reboots my system, to see a message that says, "1628: Device was not installed." and then it reboots.

I did find out that I need new firmware installed in order for the new driver to "take", but IBM doesn't have a new version for my R40, only other versions.

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
Do you still have the old drivers?

gruurly

gruurly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yes, and they are still on the system. However, my computer isn't even recognizing that I have a LAN adapter hooked up; this is what started the problems in the first place... it would just suddenly not be installed, and would drop off the hardware list with no way to reinstall it. Then, magically, it would reappear again... usually within an hour or two, but no more than a day. It's been over a week now.

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
What exactly did IBM tell you?

gruurly

gruurly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
IBM hasn't told me anything.. I didn't buy the laptop from them. I bought it refurbished, and they told me I'd have to bring it into the shop, they'd mail it off somewhere, and i'd be without a laptop for up to 6 weeks. I use this laptop for work, and don't have a replacement for another week still.

Here is what I've done:

- I downloaded the newest driver I could find (it seems only the IBM site has it), but I cannot install it. I've tried doing the Run command thing, where it seems to install.. but right before it reboots me I get an error message telling me, "1628: Installation did not finish." I've also tried installing from the device manager, but when I click on the driver (network adapaters --> Have Disk), I get a blank screen each time, with no options to choose, with my system telling me that they do not recognize this item.

- When I ask for my system to recognize the adapter, it shows there isn't one attached.

- In Control Panel --> Wireless Lan Settings, I get an error message telling me, "There are no wireless adapters installed, so this application will quit." Interestingly enough, the error message comes up with "AEIWLCFG", which is the name of the installed driver that won't take on my system.

- At the IBM site, I'm told I need a firmware update (my system seems to have been refurbished with no new drivers, so I've updated as many as I could find). However, when I look at the firmware install, it states my laptop is not supported. ALthough I cannot see it now without the LAN adapter installed, I do remember the firmware being a lower version than what is currently available.

That is all of the information I have.

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
Right click on My Computer and choose "Properties". Click on the Hardware tab. Click on the "Device Manager" button. Find the Wireless network adapter there and right click it and choose "Uninstall" After it uninstalls, reboot and let Windows detect it and reinstall it.

gruurly

gruurly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello,

I've done that. It's uninstalled, but I cannot reinstall it. The driver won't work, or my system won't recognize it. I had a techie look at it today, and he said the BIOS wasn't recognizing that there was a wireless adapater attached to my system. He unplugged it, plugged it back in... same thing.

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
What "techie" looked at it? Why couldn't he fix it?

Advertisements

gruurly

gruurly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
A friend of mine who works professionally as a computer technician looked at the hardware configuration. He said that the BIOS isn't recognizing that there is an adapter attached to my system, and he didn't have time to take a closer look to see what the issue was. I then bought another adapter, tried to install it, and it wouldn't install either (same issue as with the on-board one).

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
I'd say you need to start a topic in the Hardware forum to get help with this.

gruurly

gruurly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have already, with no response yet, but here's to hoping!

Thank so incredibly much for your help.

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
* Check this out for info on how to tighten your security settings and some good free tools to help prevent this from happening again.

* Now turn off System Restore:

On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.

Restart your computer, turn System Restore back on and create a restore point.

To create a restore point:

Single-click Start and point to All Programs.
Mouse over Accessories, then System Tools, and select System Restore.
In the System Restore wizard, select the box next the text labeled "Create a restore point" and click the Next button.
Type a description for your new restore point. Something like "After trojan/spyware cleanup". Click Create and you're done.

Flrman1

Flrman1

Malware Assassin

• Retired Staff
  • 6,596 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :tazz:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.