Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

G2G not working sometimes

• Please log in to reply

aerostarlegacy

aerostarlegacy

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, or if it just me and my wierd fritzy computer.

Advertisements

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
Your not alone, I have reported it several times but no one seems interested.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hey guys,

I have the exact same problem; however I don't think it's that no one is "interested", per se, but rather that they don't really know what's causing it. I know that I can't offer any more information on it, as it seems to me to be completely random, and I have as of yet to isolate the cause -- I can not intentionally recreate the loss of connection. However, if you can narrow it down, then I'm sure that they'll do their utmost to get it resolved; no one's ignoring you :tazz:

It might help if more people posted whether or not they have this issue; if they can find out if it's occurring on a broad spectrum, it might help identify the cause :) Also, what browsers are you guys using? I know that it happens for me on FireFox; it also occurred far more frequently on one of the Internet Explorer 7 Beta builds that I was using, however that could very well have simply been a fault within that Beta version. I don't ever remember it happening for me on IE6, though.

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Are you all using firefox when this happens? Do you by any chance run CleanUp! right before it happens? If so...flush your DNS and clear your cache. Close firefox and reopen it. That should solve the issue whenever it happens. :tazz:

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Problem happens to me in both Firefox and IE7 using XP, Firefox and IE5 using Win98, and Mozilla and IE6 using WinME...completely random and lasts only a couple minutes when it does happen.

Hmmmmmmm

loophole

loophole

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 9,798 posts
Happens to me also. Using IE, Firefox or Opera ( mostly Firefox ). Seems to be random also. Never last long.

Edited by loophole, 19 February 2006 - 02:37 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

Your not alone, I have reported it several times but no one seems interested.

Believe me, we ARE interested. As Dan said, we just aren't sure what's causing it. I have it happen to me, as well. I attributed it to my cruddy dial up, though. :tazz: But it seems as though it's pretty widespread among the members, connections, O/S's and browswers. :) That means there's a problem.

Our owner, Blair, is away for the weekend. (lucky dog at Daytona without me. :) ) :) I will point him towards this thread when he returns! :)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
yeah, its fairly common, its happened to me once or twice but its not persitent and when it works it works, if you give it a min and try again its fine, not like when there was all those updates when we were at a snails pace for what seemed like weeks.

DeSade

DeSade

• PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
I am sorry if I implied no one cared, thats not what I meant.

I am glad that its being looked at.

king kong

king kong

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
does the board loose its skin cuz thats happen to me exept its been like this for 1 hour

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

does the board loose its skin cuz thats happen to me exept its been like this for 1 hour

Lose its skin how? You can try flushing your Firefox cache and such, then close Firefox and restart it. Also, you can CHANGE the skin by going to your "My Controls". At the very bottom, you'll see a blue bar, that says "RSS" at the left hand side, with a drop down box next to it. Click on that drop down box, and choose the "---GeeksToGo (default)" skin. :tazz:

If neither of those clear up the problem, please reply here with as much detail as you can, so we can help you resolve the issue.

king kong

king kong

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
yea i still cant change it it looks like the lofi version its white or it looks like some1 screwed up the skin

Michelle

Michelle

Malware Removal Goddess

• Retired Staff
  • 8,928 posts

it looks like the lofi version its white or it looks like some1 screwed up the skin

That usually happens if you run a temp files cleaner with the browser open. It's not the site, it's your computer. Did you clear all your cache then restart your browser as Kat recommended?

OSC

OSC

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 301 posts
Just for the record, I have been having this problem as well. Stange thing is when I can't get to g2g, I can't get to SWI's site either, but other sites, chat programs, email, etc work fine. I also have a tough time getting to atribune.org sometimes too, but I could ping -t to atribune.org both by name and IP. I was also able to resolve atribune.org through mIRC when I couldn't get to the site through IE. A tracert to atribune.org showed 'request timed out' after hitting some routers in Atlanta. Fenor also mentioned this happens to him as well. Hopefully thats some useful information to try and figure this out.... :tazz:

If anyone else is having these problems, please tell us where your located in the world. Maybe that will help nail down the problem. I'm in Eastern Massachusetts. :)

Armodeluxe

Armodeluxe

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,744 posts
From time to time not being able to connect happens to me also, connection times out in Firefox, but unlike others at times it has lasted like 10 minutes..I'm in New Jersey..

When that happens, I usually go to SWI instead and I never have problems connecting there..