Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing an Ide driver file

• Please log in to reply

supremeone

supremeone

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I have a nforce 2 mobo (a7n8x deluxe 2.0 mobo) and for some odd reason one bootup it said I was missing nvatabus.sys. I use nforce 1.16 drivers but couldn't find the file in the setup package even after looking through cabs. I even tried other files from different versions but still wouldn't work. I even tried to do a repair install using winxp but even that backfired, because it couldn't find the cdrom.

So what I ended up doing was installing windows xp on a different partition. This worked and my pc can bootup using this install now. I'm pretty sure I can do a fresh install also on my other partition. But I hate losing my registry settings and other settings in the process. I'm wondering is there anyway to switch the nforce ide driver to the default pciide.sys file? If not, is there anyway to backup settings/configurations to apply after a fresh install. I hate having to reconfigure everything. Also sucks being at the mercy of one missing sys file :tazz: Appreciate any help, thx.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi supremeone...

Have a look HERE. Seems it's not such an uncommon problem... :tazz:

wannabe1

supremeone

supremeone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Yeah.. except I can't do any of those solutions because I can't even boot up my pc. I was looking for a solution that would let me edit some configuration file or do something like that.. to switch back to the default ide controller driver.

What sucks however is i'm still stuck at the windows install repair option. Won't read from my cdrom drive. :\ So the option I'd prefer the most right now.. is an option that saves my old settings from that install.. All the registry settings etc.. But then if I did a fresh install all the new drivers that'd be in there.. would be gone. So then I'd rather just do a repair install but having problems with that because it can't read my cdrom drive after it finishes copying files and then reboots. Oddly enough, it can read my cdrom drive only doing a fresh install. But I might try my other cdrom drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?

You might also try starting the repair operation using the XP Boot Floppy Set. Be sure to get the set for your installed version of XP. This set includes the drivers for CD-Rom support.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 February 2006 - 10:30 AM.

supremeone

supremeone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No I can't use safe mode. But heres what I'm wondering.. the registry for an OS installation stores registered programs.. and startup entries.. and a bunch of other things.

Now I'm wondering.. because I've basically given up ever solving this problem short of a fresh install or format. Because no one knows how to fix the ide driver problem through a shortcut :\

So I'm wondering whats the BEST way to backup your settings. So far I know theres registry settings. Right now using my new partition could I open regedit.exe on the original partition and export the registry and then do a fresh install on the original partition and then import it back? Also maybe backup the application data folder as well since that stores a lot of useful settings too. And whatever stores user account info.. and maybe add/remove programs.. all that stuff :\ Is that possible?

Edited by supremeone, 19 February 2006 - 01:07 PM.

supremeone

supremeone

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So anyone know of the best way to backup OS specific settings besides registry/application data folder?