Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows server AD domain names

• Please log in to reply

antisocialiting

antisocialiting

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm trying to learn about Win 2K3 Server and have a ton of questions. My first is about naming the domain. If the server is connected to the Internet is it ok to name the domain something like blahblah.humpty or whatever.local etc ????

If not what do I have to do?? buy a domain name like you would for a website?

Advertisements

killfc

killfc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi, I;ve started learning about that too, although Im having trouble installing ad on 2kserver cant remember the error I got but it was something to do with the fact I hadnt set up DNS properly. as far as im aware it doesnt matter what you name the domain because at work our domain is nothing like the website address. im researching it at the moment if I find the answer i'll post it here as well.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
why is the server connected to the internet, first?

Are you planning on serving web pages? What is the goal here?

If i can give some advice, learn to walk before you run--concentrate on a healthy, error free internal network, and then graduate to things like this later.

To briefly answer your question, you need an external DNS server to point to your internal server if you are going to host websites--often provided by your ISP, and they would need to update their DNS server to point toward yours...you can also use some public domain name servers, but these typically are overwhelmed and slower

killfc

killfc

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

thanks for the reply. my rig isnty actually conencted to the net but to install AD it says I need to configure DNS which is obviously where I am falling down as its not connected to the net. I have a wifi network for 2 of my pc's but I have now also got a server and another pc which I am creating a completly different network where I want to teach myself how to administer users who logon to a domain and use the server to configure what the users on the pc have access rights for.

If I need to have the server connected to the net to configure DNS and I cant install AD without DNS do I actually need AD to create/configure users who logon through the server!?