Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply

Woolf

Woolf

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there!
I bought a new laptop last week, and it works great. But there's one problem: Since yesterday, when I try to install software that installs using the Windows Installer, I get a message saying (and I translate from dutch):

Cannot get acces to the Windows Installer-service. The cause might be that you run Windows in Safe-mode, or that the Windows Installer has not been installed properly.

First thing I did was downloading the most recent version (Windows Installer 3.1 Redistributable V2) from the Microsoft website, which installed fine, but I keep getting the same message.
As far as I'm aware, this message started to appear after downloading the crictical updates with Automatic Updates from the Control Panel.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Kind regards,
Woolf

Edited by Woolf, 19 February 2006 - 08:10 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi Woolf! Welcome to G2G!

Microsoft has a website specifically for this issue. You can check it out HERE.

Fenor

Woolf

Woolf

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey Fenor,
Thank you for replying so quickly, and thanks for the link. It was helpful, though it didn't solve the problem.
But I just found what's the cause of the trouble: it's my firewall, ZoneAlarm. Apparently it blocks something, because when I shut down my internet connection and ZoneAlarm, Windows Installer worked without a problem. Now I only need to find out what ZoneAlarm exactely blocks...

Thanks for your help, Fenor!

Kind regards,
Woolf

Edited by Woolf, 19 February 2006 - 08:11 AM.