Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

is pci e better than agp x 8

• Please log in to reply

chrisdyas1

chrisdyas1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi i have a pc chips m957g motherboard but i cant tell weather it supports pci express and would also like to know which graphic card to buy agp or pci e . i only wanted to spend about eighty pound

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you can use CPU-Z it will tell you what you have or you could open up the pc and take a look, pci-e is better than agp but you cant have both on a mobo you have to have one or the other.

flyingbrit

flyingbrit

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
sorry worriorscot, but you can get motherboard with both pci-e and agp http://www.ebuyer.co...=100835&_LOC=UK however you can't have both agp and pci-e cards in together.
To try and answer the question:- is pci-e faster than agp....yes it is, agp is max 8x where as pci-e is 16x, but unless the motherboard has a pci-e socket you can't use one...and from the look of this http://www1.shopping...PS_M_957G_PM800 you motherboard doesn't have one, so your stuck with a lowly 8x agp.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The m957g has a 8X AGP slot. It does NOT have a PCI-E slot.

http://www.newegg.co...ATTR17=&ATTR18=

I like the first one and the fifth one. First one has higher clock speed but the fifth one has 256MB of memory. Neither will match a PCI-E but you don't have to buy a new MB/cpu kit to get decent performance.

SRX660

flyingbrit

flyingbrit

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
SRX660, yea I agree, but if you are going to get one of these make it the 6600gt, that's what I have in my pc, it really rattles out the frame-rate. The 6600 vanilla is nowhere near as fast even though it has 256 ram.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You would have to be insane to buy a 6600GT the cost to performance ratio is poor definately not worth the money by a long shot its almost double the price of the similarly if not better performing x700.

You would never buy that motherboard, its pretty pants, theres a difference between should and could, you should never buy one like that of which there are a couple but they are a gimmick that no one uses and no company makes them with and no builder uses.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Asrock makes a motherboard with agp and pci express on the board. You can only use one or the other. Not both at the same time.

http://www.asrock.co...4Dual-915GL.htm

*Example*- why they make these motherboards.

If you were on a cheap budget and wanted the opteron 165 you could get the asrock motherboard and use all your current hardware you have in your pc (minus the processor) so you dont have to buy another video card.

They did it so you dont have to go out and buy a new video card with the pci express 16x slot.

Dont get the 6600 anything. They are poor performance to money ratio. You dont get your moneys worth. If you would look around on the internet you would find that the 6800gs is $180 in the usa and the 6800gs is twice as fast as the 6600gt would be. I have seen 6600gt's for $180 before, if you buy a 6600gt or any 6600 card for around that price range its your loss. You could of gotten a much better card for the same price or about the same price. The 6800gs is only 1-2% slower than the 6800gt would be so just get the 6800gs...... Trust me. 6600's blow for the price now.

flyingbrit

flyingbrit

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I didn't say to buy that mobo, I just put it on to show you could get them with both pci-e and agp!!!...and as for 6600gt, I like it more than any x700 (just a personal preference)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol, your loss its your money to waste just we dont reccomend them as personal preference means nothing to us compared oto performance and more importantly COST.

flyingbrit

flyingbrit

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Yea we can all see you are not bias towards Radion (rofl)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Im actually not biased either way, im biased towards cost, if Nvidia were a hundred pounds cheaper than ATI then i would be saying go get yourself some Nvidia cards, but they arent they cost more, therefore i favour ATI they also perform better and have had the best performing card on the market for the last two years.

So if you call a sound deduction from known facts and benchmarks bias then yes im biased.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

I didn't say to buy that mobo, I just put it on to show you could get them with both pci-e and agp!!!...and as for 6600gt, I like it more than any x700 (just a personal preference)

I was just giving another example of the type of motherboard with both pci express and agp.

flyingbrit

flyingbrit

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Sorry jrm20, my post was aimed at worriorscot not at you.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Well you can use CPU-Z it will tell you what you have or you could open up the pc and take a look, pci-e is better than agp but you cant have both on a mobo you have to have one or the other.

I thought there was boards that supported AGP and PCI-E? I must be wrong then... I'll look into it.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you get them, but they dont run at the same time, and some arent properly AGP, they just arent a good option and they are all quite old and dont come in the newer chipsets. Its a yes they exist they arent worth considering thats if you can find them.