Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Custom buttons for HTPC

• Please log in to reply

J-K-L

J-K-L

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, everyone!

I'm currently planning my new HTPC, I'm going to build it from scratch into a case I made myself. What I really want to do is to have specific buttons for play, rewind, stop, pause, f.forward, etc. in the front of the case. In addition to a remote, they'd control winamp, itunes, media player, or whatever. The thing is that I have no idea how to do this, or even if it is feasible. What I have considered is to take a MSI megapc, or something, and strip it down to the parts I need, but that's not really the best option for me.

Do any of you have any experience with this sort of thing? Advice, links, anything is welcomed.
In advance, thanks!

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
There are controllers you can buy that do that sort of thing, and you get a remote for all in wonder gfx cards or you can get one for MCE2005 which would proably be a good option.

J-K-L

J-K-L

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yeah, I know, and I probably'll have to go for one if I can't get this to work. I'll add a pic of what I have in mind.

See the buttons under the display? There's also a volume knob there on the left.

Do you know of any controllers that could be fitted in there, or anything in that area?
What I originally had in mind was just to salvage some buttons from an old stereo, or buying them (if I could figure out where), and somehow get them to work with the computer...

htpc.JPG

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well, since thats not a standard size space then i would say no you cant buy something that would fit in there as controllers are made for standard drive bays, you could always buy a normal one and strip it out of its bay take the controls you need and fit them in somehow, but like i said if its not standard then you cant buy a standard part it would have to be modified from standard or you would have to make it yourself which would mean you would have to write or modify from something similar.