Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No operating system found

• Please log in to reply

akeem

akeem

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi can anyone help me here please? My mate has a Compaq Windows 98 system, and has the problem when he boots up that no operating system is found, why is this happening and how can it be fixed please?

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello akeem...

The "No Operating System Found" can be caused by any number of things...from a bad HDD to a corrupt Master Boot Record.

Check the BIOS settings to make sure the Boot Priority is set as follows:
  • Floppy Drive
  • HDD (IDE.0)
  • CD-ROM
  • Other
If you make any changes, be sure to save them before you exit Setup.

If you find things as they should be in the BIOS setup...We can try to repair the MBR

Do you have a Startup Disk? You should have been prompted to create one during the installation of Win98SE. If you don't, you can download This One . Once downloaded, double click the downloaded file and put a floppy disk in the drive when prompted to do so. This will create a Startup disk for you.

Start the machine with the startup disk in the floppy drive. At the options screen, press Shift + F5 for command prompt. At the A:\ prompt, type fdisk /mbr (Note the space after fdisk) and press "Enter". Once this completes, remove the startup disk and press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart the computer.

Let me know if this helps...

wannabe1

akeem

akeem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
"Do you have a Startup Disk? You should have been prompted to create one during the installation of Win98SE. If you don't, you can download This One . Once downloaded, double click the downloaded file and put a floppy disk in the drive when prompted to do so. This will create a Startup disk for you.

Start the machine with the startup disk in the floppy drive. At the options screen, press Shift + F5 for command prompt. At the A:\ prompt, type fdisk /mbr (Note the space after fdisk) and press "Enter". Once this completes, remove the startup disk and press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to restart the computer."

tried this and nothing happened, when a booted the drive up just said non-system disc press and key to continue.

not sure how to get into bios system on his setup can you help

also when a extracted the file a downloaded there seem to be errors in that and i had to press ignore to continue

Edited by akeem, 19 February 2006 - 12:10 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like the BIOS is configured correctly.

Did you create the startup disk properly? Download the file from the link and save it to your desktop. Double click on the downloaded file. Put the floppy in the drive only when prompted to do so by the file you just double-clicked.

Then try it in the non working machine as suggested in my previous post...

wannabe1

akeem

akeem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
yep tried what u said again and now getting "Disk error on reading" this is when a try to extract it to floppy

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I've run ito that before...use a new floppy disk or at least a freshly formatted one.

akeem

akeem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
do you think it might be the program which was d/l? as its still coming up with the error after ive downloaded the program

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
A bad download is always a possibility...delete the first one and download it again. Then try to create the disk.

akeem

akeem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
nope tried that same thing

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Would you post me a list of the files that are on the floppy disk?

Advertisements

akeem

akeem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
forget this post

Edited by akeem, 19 February 2006 - 02:29 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That link doesn't help me a whole lot.... :tazz:

akeem

akeem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
try this now please

sorry bout the last one

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Should boot right up...

Let's check the BIOS. Restart and tap the Delete key while the machine is booting. If Delete doesn't work, try F1 or F2. (It should say at the bottom of the first splash screen which key to press "Press [key] to enter setup")

Because all BIOS versions are slightly different, I can only point you towards what we are looking for. There should be a heading for "Boot Order" or "Boot Priority". Make sure the floppy is set to first boot device. Also look for a setting to set the BIOS to Default settings (F5 in several versions, but may be different in yours)...make that change.

Save the settings (usually F10) and exit BIOS setup.

Restart the machine with the floppy in the drive and see if it boots to the floppy drive.

wannabe1

akeem

akeem

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Let's check the BIOS. Restart and tap the Delete key while the machine is booting. If Delete doesn't work, try F1 or F2. (It should say at the bottom of the first splash screen which key to press "Press [key] to enter setup")

there is nothing like this at all on the boot up screen at all. It just comes up with manufacturers logo "compaq" nothing else, i understand what u mean as this does come upon mine

Sorry for the hassle