Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

multiple operating systems

• Please log in to reply

murari

murari

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear all,

My computer has now three operating systems - linux, windows xp and windows 2000. I would like to
replace the windows 2000 with windows 98. What is the easiest way to do that.

Thanks

murari

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
We need to first know how you installed these 3 systems. Example:
1 partition for XP, 1 partition for 2000 and a third partition for linux, and then using a bootloader to switch between the 3

Or, did you install 2000 and then XP on the same partiton, then installed linux and you're using the Lilo built into linux for bootloading.

We need more information.

murari

murari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear Vaillant,
Many thanks for the instaneous reply. My case is I have three partitions and for each
os and select the os while booting. It is like this, first I have to choose linux or windows and
then windows xp or windows 2000.

Thanks again

regards

Murari

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Ok so that means Lilo is present... Although I'm unsure what happens afterwards. Do you have a DOS-like menu allowing you to switch between XP and 2000?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi murari...

Downgrading Operating Systems can get a bit quirky. That being said, would you post me a copy of the Boot.ini file? (Right-click "My Computer" and choose "Properties". Under the "Advanced" tab, in the "Startup and Recovery" section, click "Settings". In the "System Startup" section, click the "Edit" button. Right-click in the notepad window that opens and choose "Select All"...right-click again and choose "Copy"). Paste it in your next post here.

murari

murari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear Wannabe1,
Thanks a lot for your reply. Here is the result of what you have instructed:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WIN2000="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Now what ?

I would also like an explanation of what you instruct me.

Thanks again

Murari

murari

murari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear Vaillant,

What you said is correct. I get a DOS like menu for switching between XP and 2000.

And I do not know what Lilo is .
I would be thankful to you if you explain what it is .

I also request you to let me know a solution .

Thanks again

Murari

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ugh....one more piece of info

Is this a multiple drive machine?

How did you set it up?

It would appear that Windows XP was installed first, then Win2k, and then I would guess linux?

Here is the issue that would be extrememly difficult to surmount--win98 need to be on the first partition, and this process is MUCH easier if Win98 is installed first.

Doing it this way.....while it may be possible, I would be reluctant to try and walk you through it here.

If I may, why do you need windows 98?

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
Murari, Lilo is the bootloader that linux uses... Sorry about that, I assumed you knew.

And, as gerryf said, we need more information... Are there many harddrives?

Also as gerryf said, in this particular case, I too am reluctant to try it... Dual-booting windows using the built-in bootloader can be troublesome, and it's recommended to install the windows versions in chronoligical order.

That said, if you're really willing to have a go at it, we may be able to assits you.

Let's start by knowing how many drives you have..

murari

murari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Dear Vaillant and gerryf,

I thank you for your replies.

Now I know what Lilo means.

My machine has only one hard drive.

Why I want 98 ? That is for making corrections in an application I gave to my office some years ago
created in the old ForxPro for windows (not Visual FoxPro) which does not seem to work in XP or 2000.
When I try to start the FoxPro an error message comes like "Divisible by 0" (I forgot the exact message)
If I can work in Fox Pro in XP or 2000, that will serve the purpose. Can you help me in this regard ?

Is it correct that new motherboards (Intel) do not support Windows 98 (as somebody told me yesterday)

Thanks a lot!

Murari

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
As far as I know, ther are no incompatibilities with new Motherboards and Windows 98... But I'm no expert.

Did you try using the compatibility mode for your FoxPro ?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I completely agree with all that has been said so far. To replace the 2000 installation with Win98 can be done, but would be a very tricky operation. Even when that is done there will be file association issues, driver issues, and who knows what else... :tazz: Even when these things go smoothly, something will jump out at the end to bite you.

Try running the application under Compatability Mode as Vaillant suggested. Simply right click on the icon, choose "Properties", click the "Compatability Mode" tab, and choose Win98 in the drop down menu. That application should use that setting each time you open it.

wannabe1

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I have an even better idea, given the limited need for windows 98

Install VMServer

http://www.vmware.com/products/server/

the product has recently been made free. You can install it, and then load windows 98 as a virtual machine within an xp or windows 2k host

The only thing lacking in windows 98 is sound--everything else works flawlessly

Save yourself a headache and go that way

murari

murari

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
To all the friends who have given me advices,

Thanks a lot from the bottom of my heart.

I will try the solutions given by you all and will give feedback.

The discussion was informative and interesting. I learnt a few things new.

With regards

Murari
:tazz: :)