Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting Multiple Printers to Multiple Computers

• Please log in to reply

Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I want to know the best way to connect three different printers to four different computers on two different Operating Systems.

I have a Windows XP/64 Desktop, a Windows XP Laptop, a MAC OS X laptop and a PowerMac G5 OS X desktop. I also have a Canon R1800 printer (USB 2.0), a Hiti Photo Printer 730PS (USB 2.0) and a HP LaserJet 3380 Printer (USB 2.0 or Parallel). I would like to know the best way (either wireless or wired -- no preference really) that I can connect all three printers to all four computers. The ability to add my USB 2.0 Epson Scanner to scan from all four computers would be nice - but definitely not required.

Is the best way to buy an individual wired or wireless print server (like a Linksys Box) for each printer and connect them through the network? Should I simply connect all three printers to one computer and designate it as the "Print Server"? Or should I consider an all in one box like the Actiontec Wireless Printer Server, the US Robotics 4 port USB 2.0 storage and print server or the Hawking wireless and wired print server products??

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Advertisements