Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound card question

• Please log in to reply

Querra

Querra

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi there!!

I'm new around here and i wanted to ask you a few things if possible: My pc is an Intel pentium 4 2.4ghz prescott, motherboard asus p4s8000d-x, Videocard Geforce fx52000 128mb, the other day i installed battlfield 1942 and it was SO much lagged that i couldn't play, i tried to configurate some things and nothing...Finally i turned down the sound quality to 11 and it worked perfect!!!

My question is: Can an onboard sound card slow down so much a game??? if that's so, i want to ask you which are the features i should search for in a sound card to fit well (and have a good performance and sound) in my pc?

What's the difference between Pci and Isa?

Thank you so much :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
ISA was an older stadard for an add on slot, they havent been used in a very long time now, and they werent all to common back then either.

Depending on what settings you have on and to what level sound can be a fairly large resource drain if you dont have an uptodate onboard sound, but unless you have a very good sound system with good cabling then its not a noticable thing really, but a pci sound card isnt all that much a cheap audigy 2 is more than adequate.

Querra

Querra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have a few more questions

Is there someway to configurate my onboard sound card?

Is a Sound Maker Value 5.1 good enough?

Are this specifications what i'm looking for?

CHIPSET:

C-MEDIA 8738

SYSTEM INTERFACE:

32-BIT PCI BUS MASTER

PCI PLUG AND PLAY ( PNP ) BUS INTERFACE

SYSTEM INTERFACE:

MPU-401 GAME/MDI PORT AND LEGACY AUDIO SB PRO SUPPORT

SUPPORT EARPHONES 2/4/6 CHANNEL SPEAKERS MODE

BUILT-IN 32-OHM EARPHONE BUFFER

SUPPORT 2/2. 1/4/4. 1/5. 1 SPEAKERS

SPECIAL FEATURES:

FULL-DUPLEX PLAYBACK AND RECORDING

BUILT-IN 16-BIT CODEC

HRTF 3D POSITIONAL AUDIO

SUPPORTING BOTH DIRECTSOUND 3D&A3D INTERFACES

DOWNLOADABLE WAVE TABLE SYNTHESIZER

SUPPORTING DIRECT MUSIC

STEREO MIXER:

STEREO ANALOG MIXING FROM CD-AUDIO AND LINE-IN

STEREO DIGITAL MIXING FROM VOICE, FM/WAVE-TABLE, AND DIGITAL CD- AUDIO

MONO MIXING FROM MIC

SOFTWARE ADJUSTABIE VOLUME

GAME AND MIDI INTERFACE:

FULLY COMPATIBLE WITH MPU-401 MIDI UART

SOUND BLASTER MIDI MODE/STANDARD

IBM PC JOYSTICK/GAME PORT (DUAL CHANNELS)

Thank you again!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive never heard of that card, i would personally stick with an auidigy 2 value they are usually only 20 to 30 quid and are worth it as they are good.

Im not sure what you mean by configurate i assume you mean configure but if its working and its onboard itll be going as good as its going to go, but also sound on BF1942 isnt really worth a new sound card just to get the extra sound as sound wasnt as big a priority as it is now when the game was made so its not fantasticly realistic even if you do have a full 5.1.

I would rather spend my money on a good gfx card instead of a sound card.

Querra

Querra

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thanks and sorry bout my poor english, i'm not really from any english speaking country :tazz:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its cool, you should here me and i do come form an english speaking country, and english is a really weird language anyway.