Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Explorer.exe - Application Error

• Please log in to reply

luqmanrashad

luqmanrashad

• Pip
  • 3 posts
This is my brother's computer. I know he has Windows XP but I'm not sure if its Professional or Home edition and I'm not sure if he has downloaded any Windows updates. This problem started today when I kept running Ad-Aware and everytime I ran it Critical Objects came up. So I noticed he didnt have an antivirus running on his computer and I downloaded AVG Free version. AVG found like 3 or 4 viruses that I had cleaned, but it needed to restart the computer. After restarting I got this:

The Problem
1. Computer when switched on seems to start normally.
2. The "Welcome" screen appears
3. Then a small box appears with the message:

======================================
Explorer EXE - Application Error
X The application failed to initialize properly (OXC0000022).
Click on OK to terminate the application
======================================

I click OK and then the Desktop screen appears but without any icons or toolbars. It just displays the Desktop landscapre picture and goes no further.

I was able to run AVG again (it wasnt fully ran the first time) and it found 2 more viruses that I had cleaned but I am clueless as to how to fix this error message. I cannot open internet explorer because I keep getting this error message. I tried to start AOL thinking maybe it would work, but nothing happens....what should I do?? I'm not sure how to get his computer specifications in the state the computer is in, if someone can tell me how to get it, I can provide it.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi luqmanrashad...

Close all open programs running on your machine.

Press Ctrl + Alt + Delete to open Task Manager and click on the "New Task" button, type regsvr32 urlmon.dll (Note the space after regsvr32), and then click "Ok". When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click "Ok".

Follow the same procedure with each of the following:
  • Shdocvw.dll
  • Actxprxy.dll
  • Oleaut32.dll
  • Mshtml.dll
  • Browseui.dll
  • Shell32.dll
Reboot and let me know if this has helped...

wannabe1

luqmanrashad

luqmanrashad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay I had already done a system restore to restore the computer to a previous state where it was working properly. I then scanned the computer with Spybot S&D found nothing, then I scanned with AVG again and it found 2 viruses. I cleaned one but the other one advised against deleting a system file so I ignored it. AVG restarted the computer and I had the same problem again. A friend said that I have a virus embedded in the explorer.exe file and AVG deleted it or disabled it or something I dont know. But I didnt have the problem until I ran AVG.....so should I still do the things that you suggested?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes, try this procedure first...let me know if it helps the problem.

luqmanrashad

luqmanrashad

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok I ran all of them and it said they all succeeded. How do I know if the virus is still there or not? I restored my computer to an earlier date so my icons are back and I can use internet explorer....but if I run AVG will the virus still be there? And will it still do the same thing?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sorry it took so long to get back to you...I missed your reply. :tazz:

Let's let the malware experts deal with the virus issue.
(Be sure to tell them about the issue with AVG...you might uninstall it and try using Avast at least until this issue is sorted out )

Please go to the Malware Forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the Start Here.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- post a hijackthis log in THAT forum. Do Not reply to or "bump" your own topic...if it shows a reply, it may be overlooked as one that is being worked on.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 February 2006 - 06:34 PM.