Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Completed Hijack log A-ok

• Please log in to reply

lissuzncats

lissuzncats

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi! I want to thank everyone for your help! You've been amazingly patient. I have completed hijack log, etc ...now I have a few other issues.

I have been getting very frequent OE error messages like this one: "The server responded with an error. Account: 'pop.west.cox.net', Server: 'pop.west.cox.net', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR AVG POP3 Proxy Server: Cannot connect to the mail server!', Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC90".

Also frequent IE error messages saying "IE must close. sorry for inconvenience, etc" and "AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180 ModName: ntdll.dll
ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 Offset: 00001095. This occurs when I am experiencing very slow loading of pages while navigating a site, etc.

finally and mainly.... When opening a window, application, etc the page that I am opening immediately goes to the bottom task bar/panel when I click on it appearing to have opened but just "Minimuzed". The only way I can open the page is to maximize it by right clicking the bottom panel. If I simply double click it to open, a weird bluish looking "image" or "light" flies up to the upper left part of my screen and disappears. It never opens but DOES stay in the bottom panel. Its almost just a "shadow" and not really there. Just fyi, I can open my OE by clicking on the quick launch.

Let me know whatchoo think!
Thanks a million times,
Lissuz
:tazz:

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
To clarify

Have you completed a Hijack This Log, submitted it and been given the all clear

In place malware would affect any changes you try to make

lissuzncats

lissuzncats

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
[font=Arial][size=3]Here is the reply to my hijack log:

therock247uk Yesterday, 07:09 AM Post #16

Malware Expert

Group: Geek U Moderator
Member No.: 13,256
Operating System:
Windows XP Pro SP 2

Your log is clean

Here are some tips, to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future, I strongly recommend installing the following applications: etc etc etc...

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A common result with removing malware is it can take the odd system file with it

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you will need the XP CD

System File Check will display an onscreen blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, click more options then clean up restore points, click confirm, click OK. Then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete, then reboot

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should and you can check for any improvement

This section is optional

Download and install Tune Up 2006 Trial

Run Tune Up Disc Clean Up

Run Tune Up Registry Clean Up

Click Optimize and Improve to run Reg Defrag, which will take a few minutes and need a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to optimize the computer, select computer with an internet connection from the drop down menu, this also requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot

After the reboot, click optimize then system optimizer to run system advisor