Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DR Watson Postmortem Debugger?

• Please log in to reply

catchafire805

catchafire805

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi everyone and thanks for letting me into this. I apologize if this issue has already been discussed but I can't really figure anything out without giving myself a headache and then having to ask someone else.
There is alot of "computer language" on here that I don't understand, but I'm a fairly smart guy that with a little help, can learn quick.
ok, here is my issue.-
Everytime I try to open a saved document or photo, I get an error message saying that windows explorer has to close due to a Data Execution Prevention thing and then I get some sort of Dr Watson Postmortem Debugger message. I've browsed through google a little, and I've learned that this could be a legitamate windows program, or it could be a very malicious virus that neither my Norton or my Spyware can detect or remove.
Then everything else mentioned falls into "computer language" like file names and such, with warnings that I may ruin my system and I get scared, lost, and confused. If anyone is nice enough to hold my hand and patiently lead me out of the woods, I will be grateful.
Thank you :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
First, are windows and your office programs completely updated?

Since there are a couple of exploits in both that can cause this issue, the updated may help

If so, are these pictures and excel documents created by you, or did they come from someone else? The pictures could have an exploit built in, and the word document could have a dangerous macro

If you are certain this is not the case

Control Panel > System > Advanced >Performance > DEP

which of the two radio buttons is selected?

catchafire805

catchafire805

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for your response.
All the documents(very few) and pictures are mine currently. Everything else has been removed.
the dep setting is = turn on dep for essential windows programs and services only.
all my updates should be current as I have selected the automatic update option.

Just a few things I noticed while browsing through all my norton settings:
there was a program called "request.11" in the instant messenger options that said to allow it. I found through google that this is a trojan horse, so I blocked it. I also found a windows 32 thing(sorry I forgot what the exact name was and removed it) that may or may not be malicious.
Please let me know if I am getting sidetracked or too far ahead.
Thanks again.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

catchafire805

catchafire805

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok, I went there and some things were different, starting with the cleanup instructions. then I browsed through the download stuff, am I supposed to buy all that?
I have norton anti-virus and spy sweeper already. I'm sorry I'm just really confused. At Best Buy, they said they will clean my pc up for $100. should I just do that? I really want to learn to do this stuff myself, but it seems complicated. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
all of that stuff is free, download and follow the instructions at the top..afterward, post a hijackthis log there

Trust me when I say this: the malware people will do a better job then the "geek squad" at Best Buy.

catchafire805

catchafire805

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
LOL
I believe you about that :tazz:
When I tried to download before, nothing happened. Maybe Im going about it all wrong, but I'll try again later tonight. Thanks again very much for trying to help me

catchafire805

catchafire805

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
ok so I tried again, and this time I figured out Cleanup! and ad-aware SE,
but when I got to the CWShredder, I wasn't able to use it in safe mode. It never went onto my desktop. I clicked "download>run>run" but the only way I was able to select "fix" was as it was on my screen when I did the preceeding steps. I did go into safemode(which was a bit scary since I've never done so before. everything was huge), but as I said, I couldn't locate CWShredder so I went back to normal and back on the web etc. until I just ran "fix" from here. It came up with nothing. I will wait to see your reply before I continue.

catchafire805

catchafire805

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Actually, I went ahead to the spybot download out of determination. I just want to say that it's really cool what you are doing here, even if it doesn't fix my problem, I see the good in what you do. I know my pat on the back doesn't equal all the time you spend doing this for ppl, but I think it's nice to let ppl know they're appreciated.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you cannot complete a step, just move on to the next step, until you reach the end.

Then, post a log in the malware forum, and explain at the top which steps you were unable to complete.

Shyeh

Shyeh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey thanx for that info on Dr Watson. I read some forums on Dr Watson, that say about files. Could it be that you have pirated software installed on you system or do you need to download updates to fix the problem from microsoft?