Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MS Utility & Narrarator Keep Opening

• Please log in to reply

FritoPei

FritoPei

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
All was fine with my PC until we heard a beeping noise....walked intot he room to find a Copy option pen in MS Outlook Express and the Windows warning type beep/chime was ringing over and over. The Windows system folder opened itself, the Narrarator was open and talking, the MS Utility window was open and the Run dialog box kept popping up with a bunch of numbers and "+" signs being entered...no mantter how many times I closed everything they would open back up....turned everyting off to reboot and on upon a reboot the PC was beeping like crazy...we let it boot up and restarted and no more beeping but no matter what I do the Narrarator keeps opening itself and the MS Utility box keeps opening....

Hopefully someone can help b/c I can not find any information out on the web.

FYI: All virus defs are up to date with NAV/Internet Security 2006 and was scanned clean as of today.....

Thanks for any help......could this be the result of a recent Windows update??????

Frito

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > all programs > accesories > accessibility wizard

roll through the wizard turning everything off

FritoPei

FritoPei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Thank you so much Gerry.! I had just made a post regarding this before I aw your reply. I was able to stop the Narrarator and Utility from opening late last night but now it seems that any Microsoft based program is plagued with trouble.

When trying to enter a URL in the IE navigation box all I see is "+" signs and the number 9 all the while the warning type beep is playing so repetetively it sounds like a jackhammer. When clicking on the IE shortcut it opens a box showing what the link does. I can not type anything in Microsoft Word..and a single mouse-click in the document produces rectangular highlights all around the page.

When going to Start > Programs, the flyout menu starts "jackhammering" and blue highlights rapidly flicker between MS Catalog, Update, Movie Maker and Medis Player.

Was wondering if I should re-intsall Windows or maybe try to uninstall the Windows updates from Thursday, Fenruary 16, 2006?

I did search on Google and found someone had posted on a site back in November with the same problem as I am having but the only answer given was how to turn off Narrarator which now seems to not be the problem at the moment...

Thanks for all your help.

Edited by FritoPei, 20 February 2006 - 08:11 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
reboot into safe mode by tapping f8 key while the memory counts up, choose start windows in safe mode with networking....does the error repeat?

FritoPei

FritoPei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

reboot into safe mode by tapping f8 key while the memory counts up, choose start windows in safe mode with networking....does the error repeat?

Thanks Gerry...I appreciate your valiant efforts to help me bt I think I may have to have a visit with the Geek Squad or something because I CAN NOT even get into Safe Mode and the Narrarator is back on and when I turn it off it immediately switches back on......

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > all programs > accesories > UTILITY MANAGER

Select each utility and hit STOP and uncheck anything about starting with windows

Why can you not boot into safe mode>?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try tapping F5 in case it is that

What happens when you do tap F8

FritoPei

FritoPei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I was finally able to get the Safe Mode screen up after MANY attempts but it won't respond and is just sitting there dead. :tazz:

FritoPei

FritoPei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Try tapping F5 in case it is that

What happens when you do tap F8

I tried again:

F5 had no response the F8 this time was beeping like mad but did fianlly let me get into Safe Mode

Safe Mode with Networking is giving all the same problems...the PC is typing uiop787899999999999+op79 and on and on and on when trting to type int he the Navigation box of IE and beeping like crazy still.....the My Computer Folder opened itself again, the Narrarator is insisting that it be on and the Run box is opening itself again.... all while in Safe Mode with Networking.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
this time, in safemode, try the ADMINISTRATOR log on

Advertisements

FritoPei

FritoPei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

this time, in safemode, try the ADMINISTRATOR log on

Safe Mode with Networking as Administrator and now problems.

It's amazing what you guys know! :tazz:

Now, any idea what this means???? LOL

thanks,
Jayne :)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
now problems? Do you mean "no" problems?

FritoPei

FritoPei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

now problems? Do you mean "no" problems?

Yes, I meant "no" problems...so sorry I am trying to balance this older laptopn on my lap and go between both PCs...my apologies :tazz:

FritoPei

FritoPei

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
OK< ALL problems just reappeared while the PC was just sitting as Administrator in Safe Mode w/ Networking :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it almost sounds like you have a key stuck on the keyboard....can you see one?

Do you have a different keyboard you can attach?