Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton GoBack

• Please log in to reply

simannegeo

simannegeo

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I was running Norton systemworks 2003 on my desktop. I uninstalled and installed Norton Systemworks 2006. When I tried to activate I had a "Trail Expired" message. Symantec online service instructed me to uninstall and then reinstalled and they would reset the activation key.
I went to the Control Panel to remove and got a message that Norton GoBack was running and to disable. I tried only to find that I could not disable. I went back to Symantec who advised me to download and install SymKBFix.msi. This is where things went wrong I Installed and ran. On completion I was told to restart. I got the boot details up but then it went to a Norton page saying that the computer had crashed during uninstall and did I wish to continue. I clicked "Yes" but the progress bar got to 2% then the computer froze.
The only way was to turn off. I got a screen showing Norton GoBack and to push the space bar to get other boot options. I did this but every thing I tried would start and then freeze up. On restarting I get the Windows XP start up screen but that flashes off and I go to screen that states " We are sorry for the inconveniece but Windows did not start...... Start Windows Normally. Last known Configuration etc." I have tried each one with no success. I have asked for help from Symantec but the only thing they came back with was to use my laptop to download a program to a floppy. The problem is I dont have a floppy drive on the desktop. I have downloaded "ngbboot.iso" and have burnt it onto CD. But I have not been able to reboot from this because it seems that my machine was not set up to boot from a CD and it keeps refering me back to A drive which I dont have. I would purchase A floppy drive to run off a USB but I would expect to have to use a CD to install and this at this time I can not do.
Any help would be really be most welcome.

Advertisements

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
yeah i tried norton go back
big mistake!
uninstalling it does not delete the space it made for the go back files
i uninstalled and reinstalled and it doubled the space used
used there get rid of everything norton program too
finally i had to reformat the whole thing

do not use norton go back imo
although norton ghost is good

Edited by cmpm, 19 February 2006 - 05:30 PM.

akeem

akeem

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
get rid of norton full stop, even dell and others are following what every1 is aying

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you need to alter the boot order in bios to be able to use the iso--assuming you burnt the iso correctly.

An ISO is not a file, but a disk image, you do not burn it onto a CD, but burn it AS a cd.

Do you know how to burn ISOs? What software do you use?

simannegeo

simannegeo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Being new to all of this I do not know about burning to ISO's. Symantec did not explain this. The email from them said "how to create a bootable GoBack CD. Download the file ngbboot.iso. burn the ngbboot.iso file to CD using Nero the software that I have" from there they go on to say insert the bootable GoBack CD into the CD/DVD drive & restart the computer. It then said I would see 4 options. I of course never got that far. I thank you for your interest and help and any further help would be very welcome

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
On a windows xp machine, download the approrpiate version of the ISO recorder from here: This is by far the easiest way to burn ISOs

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

Install reboot and then RIGHT CLICK the ISO file, and choose COPY to CD with a blank disk in---this will burn the ISO as an image

An ISO is actually a copy of a disk, not a file to be placed on the disk

Then, reboot the machine with the newly created disc and this should load their goback removal toy (I hope that is what it is)

GoBack was a great tool for Winme and earlier but I find it to cause issues with w2k and up anddiscourage its use since it is redundant with Windows Restore.

I do not know what they sent you on that iso--how large is it? Could you attach a copy here?