Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP notebook

• Please log in to reply

tp1002

tp1002

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I accidentally opened an e-mail about e-bay security and clicked on the link. My software found a virus and I clicked to remove it. Next...the blue screen of death. Now-no OS. Can't boot with the Windows CD-it bypasses it.
Ideas? I've been successful with all of the advice from this forum. Can have it fixed for about $100, but would prefer to save this $$$.
Thanks to anyone with advice.
TP

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tp1002...

Do you have a floppy drive on that rig?

wannabe1

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Can't boot with the Windows CD-it bypasses

I would go into SETUP and change the boot order. When you first turn on your computer hit the F1, F2 or DEL key to enter SETUP. It usually says somewhere on the screen while your computer is booting up what key to press to enter SETUP. Once in there, look for the setting BOOT ORDER, BOOT SEQUENCE, STARTUP, or something similar and change it so that your CD-ROM is booted from first. Then make sure to SAVE CHANGES before exiting setup.

Once you have this changed, post back so wannabe1 or I can help you further. Reformat isn't the only option available right now so please do not take that drastic step until we have exhausted all possible options. Wannabe1 is one of our best trouble-shooters and he WILL stick with the topic to it's ultimate conclusion. So as long as you stick with it we will find a solution to your problem. No need to waste unnecessary money. :tazz:

Fenor

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No floppy - just a CD rom.
I'm surprised that putting the windows CD in won't run it. The computer wants to reboot without running the CD. Couldn't get it to run...
Thanks, TP

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I tried to change the boot order. I put it in twice, but I couldn't get it to work (saved & closed) but it still didn't boot...
This is nasty. Not what I'm used to dealing with (not that I'm a pro, but I manage to fix things - with help...)
Thanks,
TP

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If you can, go back into SETUP and for the boot order, are you able to remove items from being listed? If so remove everything BUT the cd-rom drive. Also, when you're in setup, check the IDE devices and make sure that your cd-rom is being detected. Another thing youc an try is using the SET TO DEFAULTS option in setup, which will restore the options back to their original manufacturer settings. After doing this you should check and make sure that it didn't change it so that the cd-rom is booted from after your hard drive.

Fenor

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
One thing I didn't mention. After the BSD, I ran the Windows OS disk to repair. The CD booted fine. It was very slow but everything ran fine (or at least I thought so).

Fenor-
I went into setup and changed it the boot order and saved it, but it still won't boot from the CD drive. I can't find an option to remove the other choices.

Here's what the screen says...

Initializing MBA Control Alt+B to Configure (this is the Argon PXE Boot Agent v2.01 (build 1) with choices for Config Message, Message Timeout, Boot Failure Prompt and Boot failure) then it goes to this screen:

Argon PXE Boot Agent v2.01 (BIOS INtegrataed)
© Copyright 2002 Argon Technology Corp
© Copyright 2000 3Con Corp
All rights reserved

Pre-boot eXecution Environment
© Copyright 1999 Intel Corporation
All rights reserved

PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

Press a key to continue.

Then a new screen
Operating System not found

Any other ideas? Thanks for your help Fenor & Wannabe1

Edited by tp1002, 20 February 2006 - 04:01 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Here's what the screen says...

Initializing MBA Control Alt+B to Configure (this is the Argon PXE Boot Agent v2.01 (build 1) with choices for Config Message, Message Timeout, Boot Failure Prompt and Boot failure) then it goes to this screen:

Argon PXE Boot Agent v2.01 (BIOS INtegrataed)
© Copyright 2002 Argon Technology Corp
© Copyright 2000 3Con Corp
All rights reserved

Pre-boot eXecution Environment
© Copyright 1999 Intel Corporation
All rights reserved

Press a key to continue

That is your computer trying to boot off the network, which should be disabled. Go back into SETUP and find if LAN BOOT is enabled or something similar.

Unfortunately if you have no floppy drive and your cd-drive is broken, there really isn't much we can do to help you. At least I don't, maybe wannabe1 does....

Fenor

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tp1002...

Fenor's right...the starting problem is a BIOS problem. There will be a setting in the BIOS setup for Booting from a Network that needs to be disabled. Can you post me the make and model number of your machine? I'll dig up the BIOS settings and we'll see if we can set this part of the problem right.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 February 2006 - 08:45 AM.

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok Wannabe1.
The system is an HP Pavillon ZE5375US.

Oh, I just discovered that it has a floppy drive (t'was hidden under the wifi card) - it's my husband's laptop, what can I say... I tried booting with what I thought was a 'rescue disk' but it was a disk to scan for viruses from 2000-2001. No luck so far.

The BIOS revision is KH.F.06. The Internal Hard Disk says [None].
System Devices: Ext. Pointing Device [Auto]; Legacy USP Support [Enabled]

Was hoping to be able to enter 'safe' mode, but when I get "Operating system not found" - it seems hopeless.

Thanks for your ideas and help so far,
TP

Edited by tp1002, 20 February 2006 - 06:02 PM.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tp1002...

It's not hopeless...we just need to disable the network boot option.

Enter the BIOS setup by pressing F10 (or F1 on some machines) during the boot sequence (Blue of Red logo screen is displayed). Once in the BIOS Setup:

In the first screen, Change the following setting by using the arrow keys to select "Internal Hard Disk" and press "Enter". Using the + or - keys, change Internal Hard Disk.....[None] to Internal Hard Disk.....[Auto]...press "Esc" to go back one screen. Then, use the arrow keys to select the "Boot" catagory...press "Enter". In the Boot screen, set the Boot Priority or Boot Order as follows:
  • HDD (IDE-0)
  • Floppy
  • CD-Rom
  • Other
Note: I have shifted the CD-ROM to third boot device because a bad CD-ROM drive can also cause this error. This might eliminate it looking there for boot instructions before finding them on the HDD.

(While in this screen, look for any entry relating even remotely to "network" and post back with what you find.)

Press F10 to save any changes you made and exit BIOS setup.

Restart your machine...does it boot to Windows?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 February 2006 - 10:41 PM.

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi Wannabe1,
I changed the boot order as suggested.

The computer now sits at the HP invent screen with "Press ESC" to change boot order and "PRess <F2> to enter Setup, <F12> to boot from LAN.

I think windows is gone...

If I reinstall windows, does everything disappear (or can I save the files on the hard drive)?

Off to work, I'll check back later today...

Thanks Wannabe1 and Fenor for all your help!!
TP1002

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's not give up quite yet... :tazz:

From the screen you mentioned in your last post, go ahead and press "Esc" to change the boot order...this time as follows:
  • Floppy
  • HDD (IDE-0)
  • CD-ROM
  • Other (if present)
Save the settings and exit BIOS.

Try to boot to Windows.

If it still won't boot to Windows, restart and tap either the F1 or F10 key (or whatever key you use to enter BIOS Setup). Under the "Exit" heading, select to "Load Setup Defaults", save the settings and exit BIOS.

Try to boot to Windows.

If no joy...Download and create this Boot Disk Set making sure to get the set for the operating system you have installed (Original, SP1, SP2, etc) This will require 6 floppy diskettes.

Let me know when you have the Bootdisk Set ready and we'll see it we can get the machine started using Recovery Console.

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 21 February 2006 - 05:03 PM.

tp1002

tp1002

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok- changed the boot order. No luck with windows yet.

I have the boot disks. Just let me know when you are ready and we'll continue.

Once again, thanks for your help!!

TP1002

Edited by tp1002, 21 February 2006 - 05:42 PM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Ok Wannabe1.

The BIOS revision is KH.F.06. The Internal Hard Disk says [None].
System Devices: Ext. Pointing Device [Auto]; Legacy USP Support [Enabled]

TP

where does it say that...in bios?