Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Office 2000

• Please log in to reply

ScottAz

ScottAz

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
To make a long story short:

I was cleaning the hard drive and doing some updates when Microsoft told me I needed to update a file MS01-028. Tried it and found out I needed a disc to complete the update.

Then I found out that my ex-employee had taken my discs and now I have nothing to help with problems on this computer.

I do have an identical computer with identical programs and want to transfer the lost programs to this system.

How do I do that? Or can I do that?

I looked for excel.exe and found nothing , so I am at a loss here.

Thanks a bunch,

Scott

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Two things

Office 2000 is pre-activation so any Office 2000 CD should work

You should find an option at Office Update to look for larger files which do not require the installation source

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I have NO cd to use, that's the problem.

and

I have no idea what you mean by the 2nd part of the reply.

But thanks anyway.

Scott

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click check for updates

http://office.micros...te/default.aspx

It will then show you what is available, and then one of the download options will be for a larger download which will not need the Office CD's

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Office 2000 is the exception to the rule; it wants the CDs even if you tell Office Update to use the larger files. Anyway the patches may not even install if if they can't find a copy of Office installed.

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Keith:

Okay, I got it.

I tried the update site and it says my office is up to date. That means it recogognizes that office is installed correct?

If thats the case I should be able to find it somewhere and I can't.

Thanks for the help.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
With reluctance, and in view of Neil's comment about Office 2000 being the exception here, I can only suggest contacting your local Microsoft Office, they do have provisions for replacing lost or damaged software, I expect they will get you to look up some registry entries to establish it is on the system, and it is if Office Update recognises it. Office 2000 is out of production now but when I snapped a disc clean in two they sent me Office XP Pro for 35 USD

Just say you have lost it, if you mention the possibility of someone else having access to them they probably won't replace them, and just say get them back then