Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVDRW drive shows up as a CD drive

• Please log in to reply

TheAaron

TheAaron

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My computer takes almost an hour to burn an 8x DVD at 8x speed. I noticed that under My Computer, my DVDRW drive shows up as "DVD-RW Drive(D:)" but after I insert a blank DVD, it changes to "CD Drive(D:)"

Also, another CD Drive is showing up, even though I only have one.

My actual DVD drive is made by Hitachi, and it's model is HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B
The other CD drive that's showing up is WJ3545Q IFD163D SCSI CdRom Device
My computer is a Dell Dimension 1100

Any help on how to get my DVDs burning as fast as they should will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi TheAaron! Welcome to G2G!

Please right click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears click on the HARDWARE tab and then click on the DEVICE MANAGER button. Now in the new window that appears, click the '+' symbol next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives. What is listed there?

Fenor

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Go to Device manager and under IDE/ATAPI controller double click on the channel on which your DVDRW is connected and then change the transfer mode for your writer to udma33

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Go to Device manager and under IDE/ATAPI controller double click on the channel on which your DVDRW is connected and then change the transfer mode for your writer to udma33

Leave it on Let BIOS select transfer mode for now. Changing that setting can have drastic effects on your drive which could permanently damage it.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 19 February 2006 - 07:46 PM.

memberix

memberix

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Leave it on Let BIOS select transfer mode for now. Changing that setting can have drastic effects on your drive which could permanently damage it.

Fenor

What the.... Stop scaring people with statements like this. There is no chance he can damage his drive. UDMA33 is the normal mode for optical drives. His drives is burning slowly cause transfer mode has somehow changed to PIO, so he needs to change it back to UDMA33

TheAaron

TheAaron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi TheAaron! Welcome to G2G!

Please right click MY COMPUTER and select PROPERTIES. In the new window that appears click on the HARDWARE tab and then click on the DEVICE MANAGER button. Now in the new window that appears, click the '+' symbol next to DVD/CD-Rom Drives. What is listed there?

Fenor

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B
WJ3545Q IFD163D SCSI CdRom Device

That's what's under DVD/CD-ROM Drives.

As for the IDE/ATAPI thing, it is currently set to "DMA if available" and the only other option is "PIO Only." Under Device 0 it says the Current Transfer Mode is Ultra DMA Mode 2, and under Device 1 it says the Current Transfer Mode is PIO Mode.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I'm guessing that the HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B is your actually drive in your computer. What I want you to do is right click BOTH DRIVES LISTED and choose uninstall, clicking YES to the warning. Then reboot your computer and let Windows find them again and reinstall the drivers for them.

Just to let you know, the DVD R/W changing to CD Drive when a blank CD is inserted is normal, it happens on all writers. There would only be a problem if the drive didn't change back to DVD R/W when there is no cd in the drive.

Fenor

TheAaron

TheAaron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I uninstalled the drives and rebooted, but it didn't help.

TheAaron

TheAaron

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Anybody got any other ideas?

ALAINL

ALAINL

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi TheAaron,

I have exactly the same problem as you do.
When I insert a DVD-RW media in my GWA4164B, drive changes to CD drive in Explorer.
Did you find a solution to this problem?

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This is my DVDRW without a disc in

[attachment=6986:attachment]

The drive with a disc in

[attachment=6987:attachment]

It could depend on what the Writer needs to do before starting to burn, transcoding etc

ALAINL

ALAINL

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks Keith,

When I insert a DVD-RW disc in my DVD burner drive, I'm only able to add 684mbytes of data on my DVD...after that, if is ejected.
Should I uninstall hardware and reinstall?
Should I get driver update?

Thanks!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can uninstall the drive in device manager then reboot

You can check for a firmware update

What writing software are you using, worth trying a different one if you haven't already

ALAINL

ALAINL

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi have tried burning DVD-RW with Sonic, Nero and Ghost2003 and all the time the DVD-RW was ejected after burning 684mbytes of data.
It looks more like a configuration or hardware problem isn't it?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Did you uninstall and look for firmware

Soundblaster Audigy use a patch, if you use sounblaster, worth checking for updates

Also checking everything for updates

Download, install and run Everest Home Edition

Click + next to computer then summary

Look on right for system component details

Look at the various manufacturer’s sites for the suitable drivers for your Operating System

If you are unable to find them, please post the make and model here before you download anything

Please set a system restore point before you install anything