Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

usb ports

• Please log in to reply

carollynn

carollynn

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently moved my computer to a new location, and now my printer and other components I plug into the usb ports aren't recognized. My keyboard is plugged into a usb port and when I move it to any of the other ports, it works, so I know the usb port are functional.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the printer about 3 times now! Our Ipods aren't recognized, my camera isn't recognized, and most importantly, my printer isn't recognized. The printer install goes smoothly, and it gets power - I can print from OK from media cards from the camera.

I have also disabled my fire wall protection.

Any ideas as to why the usb ports aren't being recognized?

Please help!

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi carollynn...

Let's take a look at a registry setting for this...just out of curiosity.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit, and click "Ok".

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_Machine, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Services, and click on Usb

In the right pane, what is the value (under the Data heading) given for the "DisableSelectiveSuspend" entry?

If Usb is not present in this registry string, post back and let me know...

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 19 February 2006 - 09:00 PM.