Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Longer Able to Burn at 48x

• Please log in to reply

penguinshrink

penguinshrink

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I have a Dell Dimension 8300 with a CD-RW drive in it. I used to be able to burn music CDs at 48x and now I just get coasters. My computer will recognize the tracks on the CD, but I can't get any device (my computer, stereo, etc) to play sound from these CDs. Usually I just record at a lower speed, but now I have purchased music from Sony with their SonicStage program, and that won't let me record at any speed lower than 48x. I can read all other CDs without any trouble on this drive. I'm working with the SonicStage people to figure out how to record at a lower speed, but I'd like to get my CD-RW drive back to full function. How do I accomplish this?

Thanks! :tazz:

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Have you tried cleaning it.

penguinshrink

penguinshrink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Yeah, I tried it. No dice. :tazz: Any other suggestions?

Thanks bunches!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
48X is really far too fast for audio CDs if you want them to be playable on a stereo. However, I appreciate that you said the software won't let you lower this speed.

The only way round this I can see may be to use proper audio CDs (CDAs) instead of data CDs for this purpose. Have you tried using these yet?

penguinshrink

penguinshrink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
No, I don't have any CDAs. Plus the Sony support people are being dumb - they keep misunderstanding my question. :tazz: (Sorry, just wanted to vent.)

Thanks again! :)

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
From what I can tell (from Sony's website about sonicstage), when you click 'Start Record', the Writing Settings box appears which should allow you to set the writing speed. I assume that this doesn't give you the option to lower the speed in your case?

If not, then using CDAs may be your only option.