Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

floppy drive

• Please log in to reply

ronnie

ronnie

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My floppy drive stopped working.
A drive does not show up when I open My Computer.
In device manager I get a yellow flag.
I get a box-saying driver corrupt.
find a driver for my floppy? :tazz:
I am running XP

thanks

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi ronnie...

The first thing to try is removing the device in Device Manager (right-click on it and choose "Uninstall"), accept the change, and Reboot.

Upon restart, Windows should automatically detect the device and reinstall it and the drivers.

Let me know if this helps...

wannabe1

ronnie

ronnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I did what you said.
I found new hardware, found floppy disc drive.
But when I check device manager the floppy was yellow flagged.
I uninstalled and updated driver from device manager.
Yellow flagged was removed.
It showed device working properly ( ver. 5.1.1600.00)
But when I go to my computer the A drive icon cannot be found.
I went to START, RUN and typed in A: . Response was device couldn’t be found.
I shut down and rebooted with a disc in the A drive.
The computer found the disc in the drive and it interrupted the boot.
I removed the disc and the unit continued to boot.
After the reboot I looked for the A drive in my computer, but could not be found.
I even changed hardware. I had a new floppy drive.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
ronnie...

It appears that we need to replace the drivers for your floppy drive. These will be on the XP installation CD.

Put the XP cd in the cd-rom drive and Exit the Installation when the XP screen appears

Go to Device Manager, right click on the floppy drive, and choose "Properties". Click the "Driver" tab and click on the "Update Driver" button.

When the Wizard starts, tick the button to "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" and click "Next". . In the next window, tick the top three selections. From the drop down menu, browse to The CD-ROM drive and click on the I386 folder...click "Ok".

The Wizard should then search for and install the drivers. If, for some reason, the Wizard tells you the best drivers are already installed, Go back to Device Manager and uninstall the drivers...then run this search again. Once the Wizard completes, theck the floppy drive. Is it as it should be?

wannabe1

ronnie

ronnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Well I thought XP had the drivers in the operating system. But I don’t have the XP CD.
I bought this computer new a few years ago. (Systemax) and XP was loaded and no backup disc supplied.
I checked the net for drivers but could not come up with anything.
I have another computer with XP. Can I copy the driver from that?
If you know the location and file.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
There are copies of the drivers on the machine, and if the following doesn't resolve the issue, we'll see if we can find them.

Click Start, then Run, type prefetch, and click "Ok". Right-click in the prefetch window and choose "Select All" (if not a right click option, click Edit on the toolbar and "Select All")...press "Delete". Close the prefetch folder and reboot.

Does the floppy now show in MY Computer?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 20 February 2006 - 02:26 PM.

bazcor

bazcor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I would suggest that the the first thing to eliminate was floppy disk drive failure, download a floppy boot disk from http://www.bootdisk.com/ (if you don't already have one) and boot from that, thus confirming that the drive hasn't failed.

good luck........

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts

shut down and rebooted with a disc in the A drive.
The computer found the disc in the drive and it interrupted the boot.
I removed the disc and the unit continued to boot.

Thanks, bazcor, but we've already been there... :tazz:

wannabe1

ronnie

ronnie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
wannabe1

I did find a XP CD from my second computer.
I uninstalled the driver and searched from Device manager and the control panel, but every time it says best driver is already installed.
Tried different times and same results.
I found prefetch and deleted files, rebooted and found no A drive icon on my computer.
I deleted Prefetch again.
I then through the control panel searched the CD and then again the same best drivers installed came up.

Ron