Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading to XP from 2k

• Please log in to reply

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Okay i have a dell demension 4100 with 384 megs of ram, and a 800 mghz p3, it works.

I have installed 2k pro on it, 3 times now. i tried installing xp pro 2 of the 3 and each time it fails with a BSOD, stop error. causing the install to go corrupt. along with the 2k install.

so what could be going wrong, cause i have an identical machine running 2k3 server

so before i screw with it any more, im gonna ghost the 2k pro install.

anyone have any suggestions???

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
You have set the BIOS to boot from CD? Do you have a full retail version of XP Pro?

Johanna

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
yes i do, the bios is set to boot cd. even from the cd it gets so far in the setup and the BSOD appears, of STOP_MACHINE_ERROR

but 2k installs fine, just not xp. and i would like to get xp on that machine,

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
You do not need to install w2k to run the winxp install

Start with a completely unpartitioned, unformatted disk (use a win98 boot disk to delete NON DOS partitions)

Inser the win xp disk and boot...during setup, it will ask you for proof of a previous version of windows, insert your windows 2k disc, it will verify, then ask for the winxp disk again. Remove win2k disc, reinsert windows xp disc....does the windows xp install now? Or does it fail in the same place?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
ive done that 2 times, i've attempted installing xp 4 times, 2 in 2k and 2 from dos.

and both ways it gets so far and i get a BSOD of a STOP_MACHINE_ERROR

im gonna try it one last time strieght from the hd after i made a ghost img to restore if all fails

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I do not recognize that error, do you mean 0x0000009C Machine Check Exception?

It definitely sounds like a harware incompatibility--this machine originally came with an alliance videocard which were notorious issues

When you installed windows xp ontop of win2k, how did you do it? Did you install win xp by booting to the winxp disk, or did you install it by inserting the winxp disk in an active win2k session and choosing UPGRADE?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
choosing upgrade from the 2k session twice clean install twice.

it has a ati 7000 radeon card and all the cards i have had in another comp running xpo. thge only thing different is the network card but it is a 950-tx i think i forget the name brand it is.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
How about a bios upgrade, ever been done on this machine?

Is this being done with a usb keyboard or mouse? Try ps2 keyboard and mouse

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when inserting windows xp disc, you are given an opportunity to run the compatibility check, are you not? Did you do so?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
umm... no, i'll go run it

Advertisements

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
came back no conflicts at all. so xp says it can install.

but until i make a ghost img im not going to run the xp install.

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
bump... anyone have any ideas how to load xp on it? as i have tried it too many times, and my mom wants xp on the machine but it just for me wont take.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
waiting for you to tell us you made an image

The windows disk you are using....what version of Windows? What service pack, I mean?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
alright made the img last night using norton ghost 9.0 so i can try and try agian and not worry about reinstalling everything.

Its windows xp pro Sp2 retail

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
bump.

im outta ideas right now, im gonna try removing cards down to the bare essentials to install. any other ideas?