Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Nothing on desktop except background (no programs, icons, right click,

• Please log in to reply

picturemeheather

picturemeheather

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I was scanning my computer using pandasoftware (a link geeks to go gave me to get rid of adware) and I decided to unisnstall my Norton Program and replace it the free trial version of Panda and when it said to reboot the computer, I did, and when I restarted it, nothing appeared except my desktop background (no right click, no programs, no start menu, no icons, no NOTHING).
I have 2 computers, one is a desktop, one is a laptop (the laptop is the one not working). Last week, the internet stopped working on my computer, and mysteriously today it started working again. Not sure what is going on with my computer, can you please help?

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Reboot the computer tapping F8. Chose safe mode, then try the system restore function in Accessories> System Tools. How exactly did you go about uninstalling Norton, and which Norton product did you have?

Johanna

picturemeheather

picturemeheather

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Panda said there were conflicting programs on my computer, and to unistall them first, I clicked ok, and it took me to Unistall Norton (which was the antispyware program that came with my computer when I bought it last November, so I am unsure of which product it was). I uninstalled Norton, and it recommended I restart computer after uninstalling but I clicked on restart later because I wasn't sure if it would interfere with the Panda software. Then after installing Panda, it told me to restart and I did, and that happened.
Thanks for replying so quickly!

picturemeheather

picturemeheather

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok, i received a pop up labeled desktop which says

Windows is running in safe mode.

This special diagnostic mode of Windows enables you to fix a problem which may be caused by your network or hardware settings. Make sure these settings are correct in Control Panel, and then try starting Windows again. While in safe mode, some of your devices may not be available.

To proceed to work in Safe Mode click yes, If you prefer to use the System Restore to restore your computer to a previous state, click no.

Then it has the options Yes and No.

I;m not sure which to click or if it is even real because when I ran a virus/adware/malware scan earlier it said my computer had 168 infected files, and 5 malicious programs on my computer (which is why i decided to get rid of Norton and install Panda)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Go ahead and try the System Restore option. Pick a date before you uninstalled Norton. Then go here:
http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html and follow the directions carefully. If you are still having problems after the malware team certifies your comp as clean, post back to this thread.

Johanna

picturemeheather

picturemeheather

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Clicked No, received another Pop up labeled "System Restore" which says
System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run System Restore again.

And there is an OK button.

Should I restart my computer?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Try running System Restore from safe mode like I advised in post #2. Go OFFLINE, reboot, uninstall Panda and try to remember which Norton product you had. Make sure your XP firewall is enabled before you go online to do anything.

Johanna