Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with an Excel formula

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I'm trying to figure if there's a formula I can use in Excel 2003 that will count the number of unique words that appear in a certain column.

For example, in the file in question, column A has a list of songs and column B has a list of artists. Obviously since artists write more than one song, an artist might appear more than once in column B. I'd like to add the number of different artists that appear.

So if this were my Excel file...

COL A - COL B
Brown Sugar - Rolling Stones
Start Me Up - Rolling Stones
Light My Fire - Doors
Iron Man - Black Sabbath
---------------------------------------------------
...the result for the formula would be 3, since there are 3 unique artists in column B.

Thank you for any advice.

mike.

Advertisements

paper

paper

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Say, we need to count the unique words in B1 : B4, try the Array Formula
=SUM(1/COUNTIF(B1:B4,B1:B4))
(To enter an Array Formula we need to press Ctrl+Shift+Enter, rather than just press Enter)

diggeryo

diggeryo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I can't believe that worked. Thank you so much! And here I thought it was a futile quest to find a formula to do what I wanted it to do.