Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Hi Speed USB

• Please log in to reply

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Have just installed Creative to run my new MP3 player and when I plugged it into the USB Port I got a message telling me I need a Hi Speed USB port (or something??) to run this device (guess mine's low speed?) and without it, it may not work properly. Does this mean I have to go and buy something? Sorry I'm such a newbie! :tazz: Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
I have a Zen Touch and i've had it connected via USB 1.1 with no problems.
If you want high speed USB you'll need to either plug the device in a USB 2.0 port (if you have one) or get a USB 2.0 card.

What are the specs of your PC?

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Hey Zeus, thank you for responding.

I really am a supernewbie. I don't know if I have a USB 2.0 port. Perhaps if you tell me where I need to look I could let you know.

Here is system info. If you need anything else please let me know.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ******
System Manufacturer Not Available
System Model Not Available
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 6 Stepping 0 GenuineIntel ~331 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Intel Corp. 4M4UE0X3.86A.0003.P02, 7/24/1998
SMBIOS Version 2.1
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name *****
Time Zone AUS Eastern Daylight Time
Total Physical Memory 191.54 MB
Available Physical Memory 46.06 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 466.73 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Many thanks for your help. :tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Click start then right click my computer, click properties, hardware, device manager, scroll down to USB controllers, click the + then look for enhanced host controller

[attachment=6691:attachment]

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
That computer is dated from 1998, USB 2 support on the boards at that time was a bit hit-and-miss. You either got it or you didn't. Most likely than not, you don't have USB2.0.

The easiest solution would be to go to your little local computer shop and ask them for a PCI USB card. These will be USB 2 and you usually get four, sometimes six, of the ports to play with.

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Thank you Keith and Neil.

Firstly there is no enhanced host controller only Intel® 82371AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller and USB Composite Device and USB Root Hub.

The computer was new IBM in early 2001. Had to get a new motherboard last year (wish I had come across GtG back then!). Are you saying that the new motherboard I have is 1998?

In the meantime ..... the problem I was concerned about regarding the Zen Neeon has become somewhat obsolete. I was able to transfer and play the music without any problems, however the machine is so small that I can hardly read the screen and the scrolling bar is very sensitive and difficult to manoeuvre so I've decided to return it to the store! Will no doubt get something else, so will look into getting a PCI USB card and then will probably have to get back on here to install it - he, he! :tazz:

Cheers

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Thank You for the update

The message could have been you have connected a USB2 device to a USB1 port, and the only problem this should cause is a slower transfer, it should not prohibit the transfer of data, then you need to weigh up how often you use the device and its actual transfer speed against the cost of buying a USB2 card

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Thank you Keith.

I've decided to do a bit more research before I purchase again. And thanks for the advice regarding the effect of USB 1 vs USB2. Guess the transfer speed is not really that important to a supernewbie and in fact when I transferred last night I thought it was quite fast, so I'll stick with what I've got!

Cheers and thanks again to you and Neil and Zeus_GB :tazz: :) :)