Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

need help with BIOS for overclocking the cpu

• Please log in to reply

rov

rov

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
when i open up the BIOS on startup, i cant find where to change the multiplier for my amd ath64 4000+

i checked everything, i heard it wasnt locked, only up to 12

can anyone who has done this before help?
(if it matters i have an asus a8n-sli mobo)

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Bios is totally independant of the CPU its from the mobo. The manual will tell you, also i think the asus boards have an overclocking section in bios or software to do it.

However, the multiplier is only unlocked downwards not up on athlon cpus. If you try to voerclock that though you wont get far as its allready at the maximum safe speed(give or take a 100 Mghz or so) i wouldnt try to get it any faster unless it was an FX series cpu.

Also if you dont know where to find the multiplier setting you shouldnt be overclocking you need to know what you are doing as its very dangerous before you overclock you should have done enough research as to know exactly what you are doing before hand.

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
Yeah, plus a 4000+ isnt a cheap bit of kit. What are you over clocking for?

rov

rov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
ive read all about it and know the dangers, +.15 ghz wouldnt kill it

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
yeah but...why you over clocking? what do you need the extra performance for?

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Sometimes one just has to push the envelope - reasoning isn't always a consideration. Having said that, its pretty obvious you've been warned and for good reason. I've got a SanDiego 4000+ in one of my boxes and it OC's OK, but after an initial test drive, its been throttled back close to its original specs and is running 2.5GHZ on an ABIT Fatal1ty board. You can fairly easily bump your FSB speed but you'll need good memory and a little tweaking in terms of core voltage to really push this puppy and thats where the caution flags go up. As has been suggested, you should do a lot more reading before you start playing around. One has to be very cognizant of temperatures and unlike some, I'd never overclock this or any other CPU with a stock heatsink.

As has also been stated, you're not going to notice much difference because you've already got a very fast CPU. Benchmarking will show a quantifiable difference in speed, but absent a quest for pure numbers, its doubtful that you will be able to detect any operational differences whatsoever. Some wise individuals have already warned you against this, but if you must - be careful and go slow. Overclocking is absolutely worthless unless one can acheive rock solid stability within a tolerable temperature range.

:tazz:

edit after re-read Do a lot more reading before you start messing around.

Edited by Rockster2U, 21 February 2006 - 07:54 AM.

rov

rov

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
yah, guess il hold on it
only planned on maybe .1 ghz, but i wont tinker for something i wont notice much of

thx

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The difference wont be anything great. You only notice a difference at over 200Mhz up and like i said thall b a hard cpu to justify an overclock as youre never gogin to get a great clock as its allready fast.