Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to install XP SP2

• Please log in to reply

sypher

sypher

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello, I recently bought a new drive and a fresh copy of XP SP2 and am having problems installing. Everytime I try to install, it says that certain files could not be copied from the CD. I have no clue what the problem could be as everything I have is spankin new.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look at the manufacturer's site for a drive utility which includes a write zeros option, use its full option, and also use the default NTFS long, not quick format during the installation of XP

If the drive manufacturer does not have a utility, use boot and nuke, again using a thorough mode (3 passes)

Either option will add 8 hours to the process and you will need to check the XP format is creating a RAW1 partition on C and if it is any different, press the reset button immediately to restart the installation

http://dban.sourceforge.net/

sypher

sypher

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've already done the write zero function and the partition is RAW1 on C: and it is still giving me these "could not copy errors". If it matters, the drives im using are a DVD-ROM and DVD+RW. Although ive tried it on them bothe and no difference.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check the CD is spotless

Contact your local Microsoft Office to ask for a replacement CD