Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whats the differeence?

• Please log in to reply

xXxHeatherxXx

xXxHeatherxXx

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Can someone please tell me the difference between Windows XP Home Edition and the Professional Edition?

Advertisements

chopyaedoff

chopyaedoff

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
What's the difference between Windows XP Home and Professional editions?

The Home and Professional editions of Windows XP are nearly identical; the only differences are additional features found in the Professional edition that most likely won't appeal to home users. The primary differences, aside from the price and the color of the packaging, are as follows:

Windows XP Home Edition

Contains basic support for security among multiple users.
Built-in support for peer-to-peer networking, but only for up to five computers.
The backup utlity is not installed by default, but is included on the CD.

Windows XP Professional Edition

Includes extended support for security between multiple users on the same machine.
Better support for peer-to-peer networking, plus support for joining a "Windows NT domain."
The backup utlity is installed by default.
The Professional edition includes the following components not found in the Home edition:
Administrative Tools (in the Start Menu and Control Panel)
Automated System Recovery (ASR)
Boot Configuration Manager
DriverQuery
Group Policy Refresh Utility
Multi-lingual User Interface (MUI) add-on
NTFS Encryption Utilitiy
Offline Files and Folders
OpenFiles
Performance Log Manager
Remote Desktop
Scheduled Tasks Console
Security Template Utility
Taskkill
Tasklist
Telnet Administrator
Provides support for multi-processor systems (2 or 4 CPUs), Dynamic Disks, Fax.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
http://www.microsoft.../choosing2.mspx

This link is right off the Microsoft site.

There are many other features on the Pro version that aren't listed in that general comparison chart. For instance. I create my own recovery disc after slipstreaming SP2 into my current version of XP. With XP Pro, I can use the Windows Setup Manager to record answers to the questions you answer during the install - product key, time zone, keyboard layout, etc. By imbedding this into my restore cd, I can reinstall windows without having to sit in front of my PC for 45 minutes answering questions and keying in that long product key. The windows install has now become automated. Just another reason to go pro, but if you aren't a big PC user, Home will probably do just fine.

Hope this helps.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
The ChoppyAEDoff post is correct.

I would like to point out, that according to PC magazine, the backup feature will run in XP home after being installed from the CD. However, they say that the program, from XP home will not restore the backed up file.

This isn't experience talking here, it's third party info from a magazine, but you should research that a bit if you do plan to use the XP Home Backup program.

Thanks,

magusbuckley

xXxHeatherxXx

xXxHeatherxXx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thanks for all you're help!!!!! It's been really useful!