Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The driver detected a controller error

• Please log in to reply

lord_lucifer

lord_lucifer

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought this 200GB HD. You know how it is. You get the drive in a nice platic bag. No screws, cables, etc. You take it home install it into your computer. You BIOS sees it and you think great this is going to work.

Then the data starts to corrupt, your windows crashes and you find yourself with data loss and then you got to format the dam HD(eekk!!) so that windows will start.

Then you check your event logs and find the following blurb.

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk....."

You then download bios upgrades, new mobo drivers, get new cables, performe exhausting chkdsk without any errors and still you get

"The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk....."

Then you download the utility for the HD and all of sudden there is light. The programs starts and says: Do you wish to enable support for drives that are over 137Gb.

You stop the installation and you go hunting on the web and find that MS actually #$*& up again and they have KBs out. For Win 2000 KB305098 and for Win XP KB303013. There is a registry setting.

Although if you have a maxtor HD your in luck, you can download a nice little tool that will do it for you. It's called "big_drive_enabler.exe". You can find it at

http://www.maxtor.co...s&downloadID=11

Will my saga continue or is this the end of my rantings. Good luck if you had the same problem.

Advertisements