Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless recieves signal, no connection

• Please log in to reply

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
My laptop, hooked up to our home network wirelessly, is recieving a signal. However, it keeps saying Not Connected and I am unable to access the internet. When I select the network from the list, it only gives me the option to Disconnect. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Advertisements

king kong

king kong

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
your not alone bro 3 of us have the exact same problem

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
That sucks. Wireless is great when it works but it gives me such a hard time sometimes.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hi gwhoosh,

Please goto Start --> Run --> type CMD and press OK --> then type: IPCONFIG /ALL - please post the results here by right-clicking on the Command Prompt window, selecting 'Select All', pressing the Enter key, and then posting on this forum. Alternately, you can save your information to a text file by using the following command: IPCONFIG /ALL > C:\ipconfig.txt -- navigate to that text file, and copy/paste the information from it.

What happens when you goto Start --> Run --> type CMD --> press OK. Now type:
  • ipconfig /release -- wait for the connection to release; then
  • ipconfig /renew -- wait for the connection to re-establish, or alternately for an error message to display -- if it is an error message, please post the message.

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Hi Dan,

Here's the result of the ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : amanda

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-02-AE-99

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-59-3A-A7

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.58.44

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

When I put in the /release, it said no operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media disconnected.

Then /renew it tried to reestablish the connection and got to "limited to no connectivity" which really means no connectivity since I can't access anything online. It came up with an error: the same bit on the disconnected media as above and unable to contact your DHCP server. Request timed out.

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Update: Now it says it's connected to the network, but I can't access anything on the internet.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

Update: Now it says it's connected to the network, but I can't access anything on the internet.

Can you please post a new ipconfig /all -- also, try the following:

Test your Network
1. Goto Start, Run, type: NETSH DIAG GUI - press 'OK'. A Command Prompt window will open temporarily; don't touch it, it will disappear in a moment.
2. A Microsoft Help and Support window will then open; select the option 'Scan your system'.
3. Wait for the scan to finish and then scroll down to the heading 'Modems and Network Adapters'. Look at 'Network Adapters' (don't expand it yet). Beside your connection information, you should see a green 'PASSED'; if you do not (if you see a red 'FAILED') then expand 'Network Adapters', scroll down the list until you see the heading with the 'FAILED', expand that option and copy and paste the results here.
In the NETSH DIAG GUI, you should be looking for any red 'FAILED', however the key one is Network Adapters for you. If you see any other red FAILED, expand the component and copy the results.

Thanks,
Dan.

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
It passed the test.

The new ipconfig:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : amanda

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0F-B0-02-AE-99

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-4B-59-3A-A7

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 192.168.0.2

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Please setup a Static IP:
Goto Start --> Programs --> Accessories --> Communications --> Network Connections --> Right click on your Local Area Connection --> Select Properties --> Click on Internet Protocl (TCP/IP) once and press the Properties button --> Select the option Use the following IP Address: --> Enter in the IP Address [192.168.0.2], Subnet Mask [255.255.255.0] and Default Gateway [192.168.0.1] --> Press OK. Restart your computer and then try to surf the Internet; are you able to?

If you still cannot connect, then retun your settings to Obtain an IP Address automatically and Obtain DNS Server address automatically.

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I'm unable to surf on either setting, although on both accounts it claims to connect to the network.

Is it strange that when disconnected, it picks up 5/5 signal bars, but when connected it recieves about 2/5 signal bars?

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Well, I'm not even sure that you are actually connected to your Network, despite what it's telling you.

Please goto Start, Run, type CMD and press OK. Now type: PING 192.168.0.1 -- please copy/paste the results into your next reply.

Also, open up Internet Explorer, and in the Address Bar, type: http://192.168.0.1 -- are you prompted to enter your Username/Password?

Please goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under the System log for any errors and/or warnings. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

Try WinsockFix. Once run, reboot and test your connection.

If that fails, please goto Start, Run, type CMD, press 'OK', then do the following:
1. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

2. Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot and test.

Please download LSPFix from here. Run the LSPFix.exe that you have just finished downloading, and please list all of the protocols that are in the 'Keep' and 'Remove' list; if there are protocols in the 'Remove' list, then please don't click 'Finish>>'. Simply close the program by pressing ALT+F4 or the Close [x] button.

And also... Has this laptop ever actually been able to connect to your Network? If not, have you run the Wireless network setup wizard? If you haven't, try connect your laptop to your router via a cable, and then do the following:
  • (*NOTE: the below steps only apply to certain variants of wireless routers -- if these steps do not apply to you, proceed directly to Step Two(b): Run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard.)
  • Log into the wireless router's web console. You can connect to the web console by typing in the router's IP Address into your Internet Explorer Address Bar. If you do not know the IP Address, consult your manual.
  • Upon connecting to the router, you should be queried for a Username and Password. This information will also be located in your manual.
  • Once you're logged in, look for a tab in connection to Wireless Settings -- this section will allow you to setup the SSID, broadcasting channel and Encryption.
  • The SSID is simply a description of your Network -- anything will do, as long as it's relatively unique to you. You're allowed up to 32 letters to express yourself, but remember that your neighbours might get to see this name at some point!
  • Unless there is a specific network key that you must use, allow your router to automatically generate one -- once it has done this, be sure to write down both your SSID and your Network Key (on a piece of paper!).
Step Two(a): Run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard:
  • The easiest way to open the Wireless Network Setup Wizard is through the Start Menu: go to Programs, Accessories, then Communications, and you'll find it there.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and click Next.
  • Now, enter the SSID that you created earlier in your router's web console, and that you wrote down on a piece of paper.
  • Enter the Network Key that you created earlier in the router's web console, and that you wrote down on a piece of paper.
  • If you bought equipment with WPA (stronger encryption), tick that box. Click Next again.
  • Unless you have a USB flash drive (it's unlikely), choose the option for manual setup. Don't worry -- it's just a matter of printing out some settings and entering them into your other computers. If you don't use encryption, you can usually skip this step.
  • Now, right-click on the wireless icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen -- it looks like a small computer with two lines on the right of it.
  • On the menu that appears, click 'View Available Wireless Networks'.
  • Now, you should see a list of the wireless networks your computer is in range of. Look for the name of your own network. This will be the name you typed in the setup wizard earlier or, if you use a router, it will probably be the name of your wireless equipment's manufacturer.
    (Note that this is the screen to come to if you ever want to connect to a wireless network other than your usual one -- just double click the one you want, wait a while, and it should work.)
  • To make sure Windows knows which network is yours, you need to click 'Change the order of preferred networks' on the left of the available networks screen.
  • You should click the 'Add' button to add the name of your network to this list, and use 'Remove' to take away any that aren't yours.
  • When you've highlighted your network, click Properties, and then go to the Connection section.
  • Make sure 'Connect when this network is in range' is ticked. If all else fails, you might have to take your printout from the Wireless Network Setup Wizard and enter that information on each computer.
Step Two(b): Run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard:
  • The easiest way to open the Wireless Network Setup Wizard is through the Start Menu: go to Programs, Accessories, then Communications, and you'll find it there.
  • The first thing to do when the wizard appears is read the welcome message, and click Next.
  • Now, type a name for your network -- anything will do, as long as it's relatively unique to you. You're allowed up to 32 letters to express yourself, but remember that your neighbours might get to see this name at some point! (Note: if you already have an SSID and Encryption Key, then you must enter these, rather than creating new ones.)
  • Unless you already have a network key that you absolutely must use, select the Automatically Assign a Network Key radio button.
    (Note: You should write down -- on a piece of paper -- both your SSID and your Network Key!)
  • If you bought equipment with WPA (stronger encryption), tick that box. Click Next again.
  • Unless you have a USB flash drive (it's unlikely), choose the option for manual setup. Don't worry -- it's just a matter of printing out some settings and entering them into your other computers. If you don't use encryption, you can usually skip this step.
  • Now, right-click on the wireless icon in the bottom-right corner of your screen -- it looks like a small computer with two lines on the right of it.
  • On the menu that appears, click 'View Available Wireless Networks'.
  • Now, you should see a list of the wireless networks your computer is in range of. Look for the name of your own network. This will be the name you typed in the setup wizard earlier or, if you use a router, it will probably be the name of your wireless equipment's manufacturer.
    (Note that this is the screen to come to if you ever want to connect to a wireless network other than your usual one -- just double click the one you want, wait a while, and it should work.)
  • To make sure Windows knows which network is yours, you need to click 'Change the order of preferred networks' on the left of the available networks screen.
  • You should click the 'Add' button to add the name of your network to this list, and use 'Remove' to take away any that aren't yours.
  • When you've highlighted your network, click Properties, and then go to the Connection section.
  • Make sure 'Connect when this network is in range' is ticked. If all else fails, you might have to take your printout from the Wireless Network Setup Wizard and enter that information on each computer.
Thanks,
Dan.

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = 0, Lost = 4 <100% loss>.

------

No, I'm not prompted for username/password.

------

Warning in Dhcp: Your computer has automatically configured the IP address
for the Network Card with network address 00904B593AA7. The IP address being used is

Error in Service Control Manager: The mrtRate service failed to start due
to the following error: The system cannot find the file specified.

Error in Windows Update Agent: Unable to connect: Windows is unable to connect to the
automatic update service and therefore cannot download and install updates according to the
set schedule. Windows will continue to try to establish a connection.

Warning in Server: The server could not bind to transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_
{2F6BCCF6-DA1A-41A7-AE10-778DCF06DC1F}.

Error in NetBT: Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created.

------

Keep:
mswsock.dll Tcpip
winrnr.dll NTDS
nwprovau.dll NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS
rsvpsp.dll [Protocol handler]

------

Yes, it has been connected. It just had its harddrive replaced a few days ago. After getting
the OS installed and running, it was connecting fine. Then it began waivering and came to
the status I originally posted about.

It still can't access the internet, but is still displaying "connected to network".

Edited by gwhoosh, 23 February 2006 - 03:07 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Before we continue, I just want to make sure of something -- 192.168.0.1 is actually your router's IP Address, right?

Please right-click on My Computer --> Select Manage --> Select Device Manager --> Is there any warning mark beside Network Adapters? --> Expand Network Adapters by clicking on the [+] and ensure that your Wireless Network Adapter is listed there.

Edited by Dan G, 23 February 2006 - 05:07 PM.

gwhoosh

gwhoosh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I don't know, how do I know if it's my IP address?

I don't see any warnings, and I'm pretty sure the Adapter is listed.

Edited by gwhoosh, 23 February 2006 - 07:48 PM.

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts

I don't know, how do I know if it's my IP address?

Do you have any other computers connected (successfully) to this Network? If so, please post an ipconfig /all from that computer.

Warning in Server: The server could not bind to transport \Device\NetBT_Tcpip_
{2F6BCCF6-DA1A-41A7-AE10-778DCF06DC1F}.

Please change the name of your laptopr; right click on My Computer and select Properties --> Select the Computer Name tab --> Click on the Change button --> A Computer Name Changes dialog box will open. Type the new name for your computer in the box directly under Computer name: --> You will see a dialog box asking you to restart your computer --> Click on the OK button --> Click the OK button to close the System Properties box --> Click the Yes button in the System Settings Change dialog box --> Your system will now restart and the name change will be in effect upon reboot.

I believe that this error is being caused because your router / Network Adapter is mistaking your new Hard Drive for a different computer. Once you have changed the name, try to connect to the Router again.

If 192.168.0.1 is really your Router's IP, then it means that you aren't actually connecting to your network at all, despite what it's telling you.

Please re-install your Network Adapter and update it with the latest drivers.

For kicks, can you please run the Wireless Network Setup Wizard (again?) following the steps I provided above.

Error in NetBT: Initialization failed because the driver device could not be created.

How often does this error appear in your Event Log?