Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD ROM Problem

• Please log in to reply

kjmom57

kjmom57

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
After burning a couple music cd's a couple weeks ago, I recently put in a computer game cd for my daughter to use. It sounds like an old 45 record playing at 33 1/3 speed. Voices are all slow and slurry. I cleaned the drive but nothing changed. It is an older computer running on Window 2000 ME. Is there any hope in fixing this or is a new CD drive/burner needed?

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. Running slow sounds like a mechanical malfunction, something with the drive gears that you probably can't do anything about. The easiest thing to do would be to replace it. Have you tried other cds? Does it do the same thing on all of them? You want to make sure the problem is the device, and not that one particular cd.

Edited by austin_o, 21 February 2006 - 08:00 AM.

kjmom57

kjmom57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
All CD's do it unfortunately. This is a cd drive plus cd burner...are these hard to install?

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
CD/DVD drives aren't very hard to install. If you buy a retail boxed CD/DVD drive chances are you'll get instructions with it anyway. If you don't you could always do a Google.

kjmom57

kjmom57

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Thanks everyone; you're always so much help. It is greatly appreciated.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Glad to be of help!