Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Modem Connection Failure?

• Please log in to reply

kjmom57

kjmom57

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Another problem. Our other computer now has developed a problem. It was connected (via dial up) to the internet when we had a power failure. When electric/phone was restored; it acted like it was still connected to the internet. If we plug the phone cord directly into the main wall jack we can use the phone. However, when we run it through the computer so that we can have dial up access; it will not connect to the internet plus it kind of screws up the phone service until we unplug and replug directly back into the wall unit. It is a XP system bought from Gateway about a year an a half ago. Gateway says its the internet provider's problem (which it can't be as I can log on just fine from my other computer). Do you think it fried the modem or something? Gateway had us "restore" to a point prior to the outage but no improvement. What do we do now, any suggestions?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napolιon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
try uninstalling the modem from device manager (right click my computer > manage > device manager) then restart the computer...it should redetect the modem...if it doesn't...there's a good chacne that the modem died

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
I had a problem with a modem which would allow me to make outgoing calls, but incoming calls were "busy". Something died in the modem to hang the line in that manner, so if just plugging the modem into the phone line causes problems, I would say that the modem is dead.

One way to check is to see if just plugging it in without the power turned on also causes the same problem, then power the machine up to the setup menu and see if it still works, then boot the machine. If it does not work at the start, then confirmed dead, otherwise you might stand a chance.

Jack123

Jack123

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 944 posts
01 kimom57 Modem Problem
22nd Feb 2006

it acted like it was still connected to the internet. If we plug the phone cord directly into the main wall jack we can use the phone. However, when we run it through the computer so that we can have dial up access; it will not connect to the internet plus it kind of screws up the phone service until we unplug and replug directly back into the wall unit

Sounds like the – [Power Failure] – Blasted your Modem – Do you have a Surge Protection on Phone Jack – If you do – then maybe it gave up its life to protect modem – Try replacing the surge protector – if there was one –

If not – You may have to obtain a – [Modem Card] – or an [External USB Dialup Modem] – which would be easier to install – but use a surge protection – You can use a – [Power Strip] – that has

(1) – Power [Surge Protection] for Devices
(2) – Phone Jack [Surge Protection] – usually contains 2 ea –

Zoom USB Modem
http://www.zoom.com/...ternal_usb.html

Jack123