Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

set hard drive permissions.

• Please log in to reply

kiteplans

kiteplans

• Pip
  • 6 posts
have built myself a A64 PC now and thought i would try out the 64bit Windows XP edition. I have installed it ok and now have both versions of XP working ok and i get the windows OS choice at boot, which is fine. I should add that i only have one hard drive and it is now a 50/50 ntfs partitions.

My problem is that i want to mainly use my x32bit system as its good and stable. But i want to use my x64bit edition to try out and test see what games etc work and decide whether to stick with x32 or move totally now to the x64 edition. When i try and install software to the new x64 edition i can change the install folder to my G: drive (x64) but when it comes to installing extras like "directx" etc the installer instantly installs back to C: drive without choice? So problem being when i try to run and test games and apps, a lot of them are giving errors because files seem to be splitting between C: and G:.

What i want to do is get a dual boot to work that will ONLY recognise the partition it should? ie winxp x32 will only see C:, and x64 will only see G: and i hope this should solve my problem.

But how can i do this, or any other answers would be greatly apriecated.

Advertisements

Ojoshiro

Ojoshiro

• PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
You have both OSses on the same disk ?
( one installation is in a directory of the other installation? )

What you want to do is install one version on one disk, and the other on another.
When you do this, the choice at boottime will take you to different disks.
( this also means you have to install everything twice of course )

Success,
Ojo