Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

rumer

• Please log in to reply

helphelphelp

helphelphelp

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
ive heard you could buy the xbox360 for only 200 dollars if they dont have the option of playing dvds, music n stuff only games, if this is true where can u get one?

Advertisements

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
There are two levels of XBox 360, the Core and premium packages. The premium system, which retails for $399.99, comes with a hard drive, a wireless controller, a headset for voice chat over XBox Live, a cable that allows you to hook it up to an HDTV, and an ethernet cable. The core system, which retails for $299.99, only has a wired controller and a regular TV cable. You can still play DVDs and music CDs on the Core system, but you can't do anything else unless you get the hard drive, which if you are planning on getting on top of the core system would be a waste. The hard drive retails for $99.99, which makes it MORE expensive than the premium system. Also, you can't play any old XBox games or do anything on XBox live without it. Basically, don't waste your time with the Core system. It's a huge waste of money.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You also shouldnt purchase an xbox because as far as i know they are still under a general recall from retailers so no one should have them in stock, and if its someone selling it it may be faulty.

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

You also shouldnt purchase an xbox because as far as i know they are still under a general recall from retailers so no one should have them in stock, and if its someone selling it it may be faulty.

This is completely 100% false. There is NO recall on these at all. The few that had problems were repaired under warranty. Any store that tells you there is a recall is just trying to shift the blame for the poor shipping schedule to something more tangible so their customers don't get pissed off.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i read a couple of articles that said there was a recall and these were from a reliable source. Also that few was over 10% of there product line not including ones that failed factory testing, and there are still people with faulty boxes that havent returned them for fear of never getting one back, personally the fact that they are hot enough to cause heat damage would worry me considering its usually kept in a living room full of flammable furniture.

Mind you i wouldnt buy one,i have a computer that plays like a 360 and have had it for over 6 months, i put this pc on the HDtv downstairs and it looks identical to what an xbox 360 does, and pc games are much cheaper and bigger and more varied.

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

Mind you i wouldnt buy one,i have a computer that plays like a 360 and have had it for over 6 months, i put this pc on the HDtv downstairs and it looks identical to what an xbox 360 does, and pc games are much cheaper and bigger and more varied.

The games themselves *may* be cheaper (they're only going for $5 less than x360 games over here), but the hardware is more than 5x as much. Like it or not, consoles are here to stay.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Warrior scott is right... There is a recall for version 1 360's (not mandatory for everyone - instead just for those experiencing problems)... due to heating problems... as long as you get version 2 your good to go... I have version 2 and i havent had a single problem... and the performance is better than my gaming PC... (only because my TV is a 52 Widescreen HD Plasma and My Pc is too far away to hook it up :tazz: )

Good gamer buddy of mine bought the 360 on the launch date and had the heating problem... Microcrack recalled his box and sent him another one free of charge, with 1 year of xbox live for free.

PS.
I think warrior is just a true to the bone Hardcore PC GAMER.... thats why he swears the PC gaming is better...Im kinda BI.... I go both ways..... UM between PC and CONSOLE :)

Edited by SpaceCowboy706, 22 February 2006 - 01:21 AM.

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Look at this article, item number 9. This is the ONLY article I can find that is not speculation that has anything to do with a recall.

SpaceCowboy706

SpaceCowboy706

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts
Lets not start a Post-It war... we all know how easy it is to search with google or jeeves to find what we want to validate the point we are trying to make. Like take for instance I told you that Monkeys really had beards and really wore glasses. You probably wouldn't believe me, but I could prove you wrong by directing you to this web site, were there is a real picture of one. :tazz:

Or I could direct you to these web sites, that would argue my points for there being problems with the 360:
Number One
Number Two
Number Three

From what I gather in your Posts Viper you are a 360 fan, As am I, So lets not argue about the Number One gaming Console on the planet

ViperKillerWannabe

ViperKillerWannabe

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Mine has crashed unexpectedly a few times now, so believe me, I know they are far from perfect. I'm just trying to quash an unfounded rumor started by retailers that are desperate to keep their customers happy.

Edited by ViperKillerWannabe, 22 February 2006 - 03:38 PM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
we monkies do in fact have beards and glasses....and eyepatches...and little pirate hats...YARRRGGHHHHH!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
And haggis are little furry animals that all scottish people hunt through the highlands.

My pc does look better than the 360 on CoD2 anyway i couldnt notice anything that looked better on the 360 and obviously its played faster on a pc as well. and my pc isnt even all that great these days if i had like an x1900 it would look even better. Of course im a hardcore pc lover, i used to play consoles until i actually got a decent pc and it blew my mind and still does, there isnt a time when i play CSS when i dnt think "holy [bleep] this looks amazing".

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

And haggis are little furry animals

man..i remember the last time i bagged me a haggis...he almost killed me....it was a cool foggy morning out on the moore...smelling of peet bogs and musty tartan...slowly i crept out through the fog and the myre...sneaking ever so quietly up to the elegant beast...then *snap*..a twig breaks under my foot...the beast leaps to my through with a ferocity i have never seen...i grab for my knife while trying to hold the beast at bay...it slashes...i stab..it bites..i choke...and finaly..the beast lay dead at my feet in a pool of it's own bloo.....heeeyy wait a minute...isn't haggis just a sheep gut full of other guts?

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
/me swats the monkey and tries to drag him back ON topic. :tazz:

I know, that's dang near impossible :)

FGM

FGM

banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
I got one the core set and it crased a lot but i wanted to lan with them so i baught a second one a premium and it has never crashed. The reson the core crshes is beacus the 360 suports pagefileing and the core dosnt have any extra memory so it reads it back to the ram the ram overlaods and the thing frezzes. Also they are comeing out with a second version of the xbox 360 that has a smaller p[ower supply and dosnt get so frkin hot.