Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

first time setting up a wireless network

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

I need help setting up a home network thing. My sister just got a laptop and it has wireless built in and came with a wireless router. I have the router set up and the laptop catches the signal, but its not secure. The other problem I'm not sure how I can send files and stuff to my sisters laptop and back to my computer. The router that i have is a Dlink DI-524, i am not sure if I have to use Dynamic or Static IPs, the internet service that I use is Comcast... And i think i gave you enough information. If i didn't please tell me and i will post it up as soon as i see it.

If anyone has time please help.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP
could you describe the physical setup of the system?
(i'm assuming from the wall...to the cable modem...to t he desktop...laptop connected wirelessly?)
you should be using dynamic ips in this setup..
to share files you'll have to set up a workgroup (home network) on both computers...follow the network setup wizzard on both computers (assuming they're both xp)...and make sure that both machines have the same workgroup name...also make sure that you enable file and print sharing on both computers..

as far as the wireless security..you can follow the steps in the router's manual to set up...either WEP encryption...or MAC filtering...MAC filtering is much more secure...as if yoiur computer's MAC address isn't on the list...then you can't connect