Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Licensed Product key activation issues

• Please log in to reply

SuperTrooper317

SuperTrooper317

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Let me see if I can get this straight. My supervisor just rebuilt his computer. He was an old Win98 fan and he finally decided to upgrade. He was given as a gift a retail version of Windows XP upgrade. He installed his '98 after formatting, then ran the upgrade. After that, he installed one of the Norton's Suites. He kept having conflicts when he tried to any type of system scan (i.e. virus scan or file search through windows). He reformatted and reinstalled several times with the same problem. Since he was having so many problems and taking so long to re-install, I loaned him a licensed OEM full version of Windows XP that came with a Dell system I had bought, thinking he could use his product code.

When he tried to activate, he is prompted to call Microsoft. Microsoft said they could not activate an OEM version with a retail upgrade version.

I applaud the man because he is trying to be completely legal and legit when so many don't and he is having so many problems. He now has his computer running great without any conflicts and doesn't want to have to reinstall to activate. I hope this makes since and that someone can advise a way to make his product key work.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
There is probably an obscure registry entry which differentiates between the two versions, if the PC won't activate it and Microsoft won't activate it he will either need to buy a license to get a product code to keep using the installed copy, or re-install, though he could ask Microsoft to look at the upgrade disc

Another thing worth considering is a good format of the drive with the hard drive manufacturer's utility or a programme like boot and nuke

SuperTrooper317

SuperTrooper317

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was afraid that a reformatting was in order, but one of the MS techs was about to tell him how to activate then hesitated and said she could not do it. As though she could, but was not allowed to. I do appreciate the help though.

He hasn't had problems reinstalling, he's just impatient like me.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
If I am not mistaken, when "upgrading" to XP, install XP as if it were the full version. At some point the installer will ask for the "previous version disk". Insert said disk and you should be good to go.

:tazz:

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That is a valid point, it will ask for the qualifying media so you could load that when prompted, rather than 98 and then XP

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
right..no need to fully install 98 for an xp upgrade