Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BEST FIREwall

• Please log in to reply

angelblade27

angelblade27

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
which is the best firewall out there today? Do firewireall make the boot time of a computer longer?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Only briefly, an anti virus programme set to scan at boot up would slow it down

Best as in Free or best?

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
In my opinion the best firewall is a separate box that performs Stateful Packet Inspection, provides protection from DDoS attacks, performs Network Address Translation and, is stealthy. By stealthy I mean dropping all unused packets silently. :)

Any decent router can perform all of these function silently and does not take up any resources.

I have seen them as low as $60, with wireless. That is a purchase/subscription fee for some software firewalls.

Smoothwall can be installed on a spare box. Firestarter, a GUI for iptables, can be installed on a Linux box.

As for Anti-virus, don't even get me started on that one... :)

:tazz:

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts

which is the best firewall out there today? Do firewireall make the boot time of a computer longer?

just about any of them besides the Windows firewall.

if you are looking for software firewalls, then i would recommendsunbelt kerio
Agnitum
hardware firewalls depends on how much you want to put out for the equipment.