Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help - Two questions about a Trojan

• Please log in to reply

essentialjpm

essentialjpm

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

I am fixing a computer for a friend, I searched the forums and found someone else who had the exact same problem I am having with this machine. The thread is:

http://www.geekstogo...96488&hl=keXX32

I have two questions based off how this problem was solved for this person.

1) The machine I am working on has no internet access at all, so I must boot into safe mode with network support to be able to access the internet. So, if I download ewido and haxfix and run the steps given in that thread in safe mode, is that okay? I ask because i've run Norton Antivirus in safe mode before, removed viruses, and Norton left Windows dead, because it would delete system files while removing viruses in safe mode. Do I run any risks like that since I am forced to run ewido and haxfix in safe mode?

2) After running ewido, the user "quora" still had the keXX32 references in his/her hijack this log. I was wondering if ewido did anything? Is it possible to solve this problem by just running haxfix, or did ewido do something that I didn't notice?

Thanks!

Advertisements

essentialjpm

essentialjpm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Bump, anyone?

*Edited by an Administrator

Hello! Bumping your thread will not get you helped any quicker, as we look for threads with no replies. Also, we work from oldest to newest, and currently are working on logs that have been posted three to five days ago , sometimes even older. Please be patient with us. We are working as fast as we can without compromising the integrity of our work. If you have not received help within 3 days of your original post, please see This Thread for instructions on receiving help right away.

OSC

OSC

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 301 posts
Hi essentialjpm,

Welcome to geekstogo.com!

Could you please post a hijackthis log for me -before- running through any of these fixes? It will give me a starting point to see exactly what you have in there. :tazz:

The machine I am working on has no internet access at all, so I must boot into safe mode with network support to be able to access the internet. So, if I download ewido and haxfix and run the steps given in that thread in safe mode, is that okay?

Yes, that will work just fine.

After running ewido, the user "quora" still had the keXX32 references in his/her hijack this log. I was wondering if ewido did anything? Is it possible to solve this problem by just running haxfix, or did ewido do something that I didn't notice?

You want to run ewido with updated definitions FIRST, then run the HaxFix second. When you are done with that, post an updated hijackthis log here and I'll help you along from there. :)