Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A *.db file extension question.

• Please log in to reply

Primasapere

Primasapere

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
My roommate's brother has a bad habit of using his computer while my roommate is out of town, and it seem like every time my roommate uses his computer when he comes back, it's messed up.

Usually, I can fix what's gone wrong, and this time isn't any different, but there's a folder on my roommate's desktop with pictures from his brother's friends, and in it there's a file called Thumbs.db, which I've never seen before.

His computer is running Windows XP, and generally, pictures have thumbnail versions available through sorting or previews available in the sidebar, and the pictures in this folder don't, but there's that Thumbs.db file sitting there doing nothing.

So, the question is whether that file represents the thumbnail versions of the pictures that are unavailable, or whether there are some additional thumbnailed photos hiding.

I'm guessing, just by reflecting on the situation and the nature of the files, that the *.db file just signifies the thumbnailed versions of the photos I can open, there was just some issue that removed the thumbnails from display (during a zipping process or something, maybe).

Anyone have a definite answer for this?

Thanks.

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
"The thumbs.db is a hidden database file containing the small images displayed when you view a folder in "thumbnail" view."

More info.

I would also advise your roommate to password protect all of the users accounts. And make a limited user account for his brother. Or not.

:tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

"The thumbs.db is a hidden database file containing the small images displayed when you view a folder in "thumbnail" view."

More info.

I would also advise your roommate to password protect all of the users accounts. And make a limited user account for his brother. Or not.

:)

Darn good advice given and I would act on it soonest. You might also want to check the history files to see where the roommate's brother may have been cruising. Depending on the sites, there is a good chance of malware infection beyond your wildest dreams. :tazz:

Ron :)

Primasapere

Primasapere

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks for the help guys. I'll be helping my roommate set up some password proteciton for his computer after having seen some of the cookies stored on his computer. Hopefully his system's integrity is still a little better than his brother's.