Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Removing Limit Drive Capacity

• Please log in to reply

angelpoo

angelpoo

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hallo again :)

I bought a Seagate 120GB ATA hard drive a while ago and when I installed it, I set the limit drive capacity by placing the a black pin thingy at the last row of the pins. Now I realize I need more than 31GB so I removed the limit drive capacity by removing the black pin thingy. When I rebooted my computer, it still recognizes my drive as a 31GB hard drive. What is happening? Please take note that this is a slave hard drive. Please :)

Angelpoo :tazz:

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Firstly, have you checked in the bios to make sure that it recognises the drives full size?
If it doesn't, then this may be a limitation of your motherboards bios.

If it does, then what has probably happened is this....
When your drive was clipped (i.e set to 32GB), the drive would have been partitioned to 32GB. My Computer/Explorer will only see the size of the partitioned area.

Can you go to Control Panel->Admin Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management.
Have a look in there & see if Disk Manager can see the rest of the drive. It will show it as unpartitioned (unused) space if it can.

angelpoo

angelpoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Samm,

Thanks for the quick reply. How do I check the BIOS?
I went to Disk Management and saw 80GB as unallocated space.
I just hope I don't have to reformat the entire hard drive again :tazz:

Angelpoo

Edited by angelpoo, 20 February 2006 - 07:34 PM.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You would only need to reformat the drive if you want all of the space as a single partition, which I would not personallly recommend.

You can just create a filesystem on the remaining space or part of the space.

angelpoo

angelpoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I checked the BIOS and the system recognizes it as 120GB. So, can I partition part of the leftover 80 to the primary and leave the rest as n extended partition? Can I do that in Device Manager?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
You can not increase the size of the primary partition unless you get a program that does that, but then you should back up the data, just in case.

You can create the rest as an extended partition and use that for data space, which makes saving the data easier. I think it is a good idea to keep all of the personal files separate from the system files, which is hard to do in Windoze, but it can be done. You can either create one big partition of 80Gb, or a smaller amount and have two or more partiitions.

angelpoo

angelpoo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
THank you so much! I did an extended partition and then a logical drive so I can assign it a drive letter for easy access. So far it is working. Thank you for your help!