Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to install a Broadcom wireless chip

• Please log in to reply

bethie7176

bethie7176

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Recently my sister had her wireless LAN chip removed from her Dell laptop. The chip is fine, so she gave it to me to put in my Dell laptop (same model). I see how it goes in the port and all, and she gave me the disk for the driver but one thing I am unsure of. Inside the computer where the card/chip belongs, there are two wires (1 black, 1 white) that obviously fit in two connections on the new card. I just dont know which goes on which connection. One of the connections has "MAIN" written next to it with an arrow pointing to it. So my little question is this; Does the white or the black wire go to the "MAIN" connection on the card?

Thanks if anyone can answer that real quick for me!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
black is generally used for negative...and red usually for possitive(main)...when they start throwing white in there...it mucks everythihng up....i hate that

when you say one of the connections is labled as main..is that on the card or next to the wires on the laptop?

busterisgod

busterisgod

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
its the slot on the card that is labelled "MAIN". the wires have no labels/writing. but I've had a breakthrough! I was looking more closely at it last night. I slid the card in just to see how it would fit and low and behold, the white wire was only long enough to reach the MAIN connection, and the black wire was a little longer and could reach the other connection. So i guess Dell already idiot proofed it. I guess black is always black, and that is the only constant! thanks so much for your reply!

beth