Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Gamer Spec. Help

• Please log in to reply

nArCkY

nArCkY

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
Hello, well i know this is probably alot to talk for, but i want to upgrade my computer in where its needed most, and such and work up from there till i have a top notch computer, and i need help for this =)

If anyone could go from the list i've posted and say what i would need next to upgrade for best gamer outcome. If someone could...please go all out in this part, listing price ranges, company, and anything i didnt say on products i could use.

Well...if there's anything else to be chimed in please do =)

Thanks in Advance for anyone who helps here, i know its alot to ask for, but its something i need help with, and any help here if very much appreciated.

-nArCkY

System Specs...Tell me if anything else is needed to be listed.

Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 512 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon™ XP 3000+
CPU Speed: 2156.5 MHz
Sound card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Display Adapters: RADEON 9800 Series | RADEON 9800 Series Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD |
Screen Resolution: 1024 X 768
Network: Network Present
Network Adapters: VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter - Packet Scheduler Miniport |
CD / DVD Drives: E: SAMSUNG CD-R/RW SW-252S |
Default Printer: HP DeskJet 610C
COM Ports: COM1 | COM3 |
LPT Ports: LPT1 |
Mouse: 3 Button Wheel Mouse Present
Hard Disks: C: 68.2GB | D: 6.3GB |
Hard Disks - Free: C: 40.4GB | D: 2.2GB |
USB Controllers: Detected: 5 host controllers.
Firewire (1394): Detected: 1 host controllers.
PCMCIA (Laptops): Not Installed
Manufacturer: Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Product Make: D7223J-ABA A610E
Serial Number: MXP43701ZF NA430
AC Power Status: OnLine
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 07/26/04 | KM400 - 42302e31 | |
Time Zone: Pacific Standard Time
Battery: No Battery
Motherboard: HP Pavilion 061
Modems: |

Edited by nArCkY, 20 February 2006 - 07:49 PM.

Advertisements

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I'd start with another 512 meg of memory and a sound card. I currently use the Audigy 2 ZS. And then go for a rockin' graphics card.

Is your graphics slot AGP or PCIe?

:tazz:

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hmm yea i knew ram would be #1, Never thought of Sound =P, and about the Graphics card slot, no clue, how would i find that out? and a new one? i thought mine was ok xD, but what would you have in mind?

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Since you have the 9800, it should be AGP. The 9800 works pretty good for me. If I was going to upgrade, I think I would go for an X800 or an X850. I am kind of partial to the Video in/out type.

Of course, it depends on how deep your pockets are. :)

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
well, if its ALOT it would just be the next thing i save up for =) and whats good to get for ram?

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
I prefer Corsair, the Ultra Low, or Extra Low latency stuff for the game box. It comes in matched pairs and has a Lifetime warantee.

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hmm i see, dont supose i could ask ya for a link to a good place to purchase one? ^_^

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Of course not.

ZipZoomFly or Newegg

Everywhere else is just <censored>. :)

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hehe i see, ok got Ram down, what would you say is next priority? Sound card? if so, i know you named one but again, dont suppose i could bug ya for a link? ^_^ just want to make sure i'm not going somewhere i shouldnt

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You know you can use google or the search option of the sites he linked to get the parts both work very well in fact its how we find things and its quicker than asking someone else if you do it yourself.

Gfx card is the most important after RAM, 9800s are ok for what they are but they are pretty old now, x800 or x850, x850 is as fast as your gonna get with AGP.

Although by the time you get all that you probably would be better saving up and building a new budget gamer pc, as you end up with something at the bottom of its hardware capability but still better than what youve got but it will be upgradable your system now for exapmple cant get a better cpu. A new one could get a 3000+ and either overclock or buy a new one later on and they go all the way to 4800+ now.

And you would have PCI-E AGP isnt being catered for in any big way you certainly cant get any of the new mid to high end gfx cards in it everything is pci-e.

Edited by warriorscot, 21 February 2006 - 05:07 PM.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
Since you have an amd xp processor its always going to have agp slot only. Not pci express. Pci express wasnt available yet when the amd xp processors came out. Especially when its from a manufacturer like hp. All of the socket "A" motherboards have agp only. They have regular pci slots of course too.

If you want to keep your current pc look at the 6800gs agp versions. They now come available in agp versions.
Would be the better buy if you live in the usa. :tazz:

nArCkY

nArCkY

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
hmm thanks for all the info. its been very helpfull, though now i'm just thinking about saving up for a whole new rig. as warriorscot mention'd, and yes i do live in the USA =)...hmm i know i might get the flame for asking something like this, rather then looking, but i'd rather have personal exsperience on this one, how much would you think the price ranges of building your own computer would go? i mean like low budget to high n such, and well, what ever i cant think of ^^ again, know its alot to ask for but yea...Thanks in advance

Thanks again !
-nArCkY

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

hmm thanks for all the info. its been very helpfull, though now i'm just thinking about saving up for a whole new rig. as warriorscot mention'd, and yes i do live in the USA =)...hmm i know i might get the flame for asking something like this, rather then looking, but i'd rather have personal exsperience on this one, how much would you think the price ranges of building your own computer would go? i mean like low budget to high n such, and well, what ever i cant think of ^^ again, know its alot to ask for but yea...Thanks in advance
Thanks again !
-nArCkY

The price can vary alot depending on what you want. There is cheap to expensive motherboards, and cheap to expensive video cards etc... For just the pc itself or the whole complete package with pc,keyboard,mouse,monitor ect....

For just the pc itself a low end price would be around $850. For a higher end it can go up to $2000 for just the pc itself or even more. You can build a new pc for $1500 or below no problem. A new pc with amd dual core and 2gb of ram with a good video card is possible for $1500 or less depending on which dual core cpu you choose. A dual core amd x2 3800+,4200+ x2 can all be possible for $1500 or less if you watch your funds. A 4400+ x2 would bring the price up some to around $1600-$1700 you might can get it for less.

Edited by jrm20, 22 February 2006 - 09:09 AM.