Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

computer crashes and games crash to desktop

• Please log in to reply

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
okay cool it booted up just fine! i even moved stuff around that was saved on that memory stick and formatted it to and the computer didn't crash at all with that stop error screen! yay! if i have any more problems with my system such as games crashing to desktop or crashing the computer i'll come back... and i just really want to stress yet again how much i appreciate your help gerryf! and thank you again! :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
had you been tweaking your bios settings before this?

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
no i have not... thats the thing... before the computer has been running fine... then all of a sudden not anymore... the only time i did was when i installed the new CD combo drive i had... i went in and selected the option for it to auto connect everything.. you know so it will show that i installed a new slave drive of my combo cd drive... and i installed the disc that came with my logitech controller that is usb and has rumble... usually it would crash when it would finish installing and would try and detech it... this time it didn't... however when i went into the controller options and tested the buttons.. it will play a sound and the controller will rumble to that sound to test the rumble as well... it will do one or two buttons.. but by the time i pressed the third or fourth it would crash on me and give me that 8e blue screen... so i restarted with the usb controller still plugged in... which would normally cause the comtpuer to crash to that 8e blue screen... but it didn't... windows loaded just fine...so i went back into game controller options...and went to test out the buttons... again by the third one it crashed on me again... and then when i restarted... the computer went to the welcome screen.. then when i clicked on my name and it went to the desktop starting to load up... it crashed to that 8e blue screen again... andi was like :tazz: not again! so i disabled the onboard soundcard and its still crashing when i test the game controller buttons... i'm ganna shut down and take out my soundcard and enable and download the drivers for the onboard soundcard and see what that does...

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
okay so i took out my soundblaster card and enabled and installed the drivers for the onboard soundcard... went into the controller setup and same thing... crashed with the 8e blue screen. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
forgetting the controller for a minute...take it out, put it in the corner...is the system stable otherwise?

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yes and no... yes in the sense of now i can plug in a usb device and not have to worry about the computer crashing to an 8e blue screen... i unplugged the controller... its away in the corner... i started to play one of my games and it crashed to the desktop... so i started to install the sims 2... i got to disc 2 and it crashed to a blue screen of PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

0X00000050 (0XE1860054, 0X00000001, 0XB830BADD, 0X00000001)

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
no matter where we turn, this thing just screams bad memory, maybe on the cpu, maybe on the ram stick, maybe on the videocard

You said your dad has another PC, can you swap videocards temporarily and see if a) the problem recreates on his machine, or stops on your machine?

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
oh i don't live with my father anymore... he lives in MI and i live in NC... i have an old graphic card... i can install that old one.. its was an Nvidia card... i'm not 100percent sure model... but it was the graphic card that i had in the computer while all of this happened... i switched it out like a few months ago with the one i have now... but i'll switch them and see what happens

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so, you have an ati now, but you had an nvidia then?

Did you ever clean the old drivers out?

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yes... when i have reinstalled windows a lot... and its an nvidia Geforce 2 MX400... it was in the computer when this all happened.. and i thought that the graphic card could be why this was all happening... so i went out and bought a ATi radeon 9250... but of course it didn't fix it at all.

Advertisements

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
well i went back to the other video card... took off all the ATi drivers and i still got the 8e blue screen... so i uninstalled those drivers and now my ATi is back in reinstalled with new drivers... and the Nvidia one i put in the latest drivers too... so its not video card memory... and its not my stick of ram... could it be the DDR itself or the CPU right? how can that be fixed? :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you said this all began when you put in a new cd-rom...have you taken this out?

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yes... as soon as all of this happened... and still i had the same problems

jasonhnf

jasonhnf

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
okay i uninstalled it...t he combo drive... i unplugged everything but kept it in the case and now this new bios i updated will now auto detect first when its first booting up... so it didn't put it in... and still... same issues :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I still think it is the memory....

Memtest+ is not 100 percent accurate...I have had systems report clean and still work after replacing memory

Go into BIOS, go to CHIPSET features

What are the top 5 settings?

Indeed, what are all the settings?