Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reformat, install windows xp, on a laptop

• Please log in to reply

BTPH

BTPH

• PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
this is pretty weird with my laptop,

when i turn it on, i dont see the normal start up screen id normally see on my pc, the first screen that asks you to push DEL if you want to change your settings, followed by the screen that checks your cdroms and asks to psuh any key to boot from cd, those 2 screens never appear on my laptop for some odd reason,

i need to format the laptop and reinstall windows, so far all ive tried is opening up the windows cd and running install from within winfowd itself, only problem is that option doesnt allow me to reformat my hard drive,

im not sure if its like this with all laptops or if mines just screwed up, could someone tell me if there is a way to enable those screens or to format the hard drive and install windows another way?

also, my laptopt only has a cdrom drive and no floppy drive so a boot disc is not going to work here, ive tried pushing f8 at start up and selected "Enable Boot Logging" but this did nothing for me

any help would be appreciated

cheers,
ben

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi BTPH...

Put the CD in the CD-ROM Drive and restart. It should give you an option to "Press any key to boot from cd" at the bottom of the screen...press a key.

There is a good guide for a clean installation HERE.

If you have problems, post back and we'll try to help you.

wannabe1

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Hi,

as i said, i do not have the screen that asks me to press any key toboot from cd, it just doesnt appear at all.

thet cd is definately bootable because ive used it on 3 different PC's in my house, all worked fine

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hmmmm...that's odd... :tazz:

Do you have a floppy drive?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

Hi,

as i said, i do not have the screen that asks me to press any key toboot from cd, it just doesnt appear at all.

thet cd is definately bootable because ive used it on 3 different PC's in my house, all worked fine

Howdy:

Is it still installed on all three different systems??

Murray

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
EULA states one license one machine...did you install from this cd an all three machines?

Doh!!! Murray's a quicker typer than wannabe1....

Edited by wannabe1, 20 February 2006 - 10:56 PM.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
dont worry its my dads company cd, corporate edition and theve allowed him to install it on upto 6 diff computers, 4 in the house (including the laptop), 1 in his office, we can still use one more, so thats no prob

and also, no floppy on the laptop, there is a usb floppy but the computer doesnt support booting from subs, also i dont quite know where the floppy drive is, when i got my usb stick, i figured there was no need for the floppy drive and i put it somewhere, now i got no clue where it s.....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have a look HERE...See what you think.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I understand that except for these missing screens the POST test indicates no problems and windows loads up. If so, enter BIOS and check in one of the menus if quick setup is operating (or something of this nature). If yes choose another option. It might be that the bios is set for quick setup, shortcutting some screens. Also, make sure that boot sequence starts with cdrom and after it the hard drive.

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
thanks wannabe, im downloading it now, i dont tihnk it will work but ill give it a shot anyway,

cheers,
ben

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
That has to be burned as an ISO image...are you familiar with that?

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

I understand that except for these missing screens the POST test indicates no problems and windows loads up. If so, enter BIOS and check in one of the menus if quick setup is operating (or something of this nature). If yes choose another option. It might be that the bios is set for quick setup, shortcutting some screens. Also, make sure that boot sequence starts with cdrom and after it the hard drive.

hey skeptic,

how do i get into the bios, i know pushing del when you first turn on your computer, gets you into the bios settings, but unfortunately that screen is also missing, is there any way to change bios settings in windows?

BTPH

BTPH

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

That has to be burned as an ISO image...are you familiar with that?

yeah, im good with iso's,

thanks again,
ben

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
You have no BIOS setup screens? That's gonna turn us down another path.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's try to reset the CMOS.

You'll need to shutdown the machine, disconnect from the AC power source, and remove the battery. Let the machine sit for at least 30 minutes so the motherboard completely discharges. Put the battery back in, plug it in, and power it up. Try entering BIOS setup.