Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

unknownperhaps

unknownperhaps

• PipPip
  • 57 posts
Ok this is how it goes...i got a 10 gig hard drive from an old computer that i had and well i formatted it...(it has linux on it) i used killdisk program to erase all the data of of it...cuz it wouldnt show up on my computer except in the device manager but when i click populate...it says status not intializied...(also shows up in the bios)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Now that you have used killdisk to completely wipe the hard drive, you now need to partition the drive into a fat32 or ntfs partition so it is usable by windows.

http://www.5starsupp...l/partition.htm

SRX660

unknownperhaps

unknownperhaps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
Where can i get the files and how can i make it :tazz:

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I am assuming you are running windows 98 or Me on your computer right now. If so, just make a boot disk with the OS. Go to control panel/add remove programs and on the start disk tab click on create disk to make a boot disk. Restart the computer to get to the "A" prompt with the startup disk. Type in fdisk and you should get a question on what drive to fdisk. More than likely the drive will be the "D" drive. After Fdisk get back to the "A" prompt and then type in format D:

You will be asked if you want the long file names and do you want the whole disk formatted as one large partition. Say yes to both. Let dos finish doing its thing(it takes a while to format the drive). Get back to the A prompt.

Pull the startup disk out, and restart the puter. You should now be able to transfer files over to the D drive.

SRX660

unknownperhaps

unknownperhaps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
ok i am running windows xp and well i did do the whole thing but it says that my hard drive is used up...as in like 5 gigs is used and everything i wanna no y?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, its not hard to use up 5 gigs when winXP is around 2 gigs to install all by itself. I have only 10 programs installed on this computer and its sitting at 4.7 gigs used. I usually partition large drives into 2 partitions. 20 gigs for Xp and programs and the rest of the drive for data. You can barely get by with 10 gigs for the windows partition. My Pinnacle Studio 9 takes up over 5 gigs with all its extras just to install.

SRX660

unknownperhaps

unknownperhaps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
no no i had windows xp on another hard drive...this one i wanted to add for no reason lol...and well umm it wouldnt give me its full space so ya...well doesnt matter now :tazz: i got partition magic and changed it :) thnx alot for helping :)