Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Killing IE

• Please log in to reply

stattad

stattad

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
When my mom uses her dial up connection, it automatically loads Internet Explorer. I want it to open Firefox or not load anything and let her do it. I have Firefox set as the default browser, but it doesn't seem to matter.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Are you running under one or two separate accounts on Win XP. Did you uncheck the box for IE to check whether its the default browser each time it may be used?

Maybe your mom is getting sneaky, likes IE, and sets it as the default browser when you're not looking. LOL

Ron

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
She's running 1 account under W98. She's 93, and believe me, she wouldn't know how to make IE the default. Yes, I've unchecked the box.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
http://www.cise.ufl....ech/disable_IE/

you could try those two batch files....one disables I.E. completely and the other re-enables it....when you need to do windows updates on her machine...just use the enable...then re-disable it (can't assure you this will work...but it might)

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Where in the world do I put it?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you just run the batch file from anywhwere....like the desktop or c: drive

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I went over to her house today and ran the program. Didn't do a thing. I think IE's indestructible!
:tazz:

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just for information purposes, which dial-up service is being used: PeoplePC, AOL,...????

There's a possiblity that there are option/preference settings within the dial-up service software itself which may override any default browser selected by checking the browser's "Check if default" box. Just a guess.

I haven't used dial-up in ages, but when I did, it always accepted my default browser selection (Firefox). This is an interesting problem especially using Win 98.

As an addition on when you said you unchecked the box for IE to check if it's the default browser. I hope after you unchecked the box, you closed IE, reopened it and clicked No when it asked if you wanted to set IE as the default browser. It needs to rewrite this information.

Ron

stattad

stattad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
I guess I should check again to see if IE is unchecked. It seems I have done that about 3 times! Anyway, she uses Netzero high-speed dialup.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Just unchecking IE does not complete the process, but that may all be academic as according to NetZero, it does not support any other browser other than IE. Or at least, it specifically said it did not support Netscape browser and possibly the Mozilla ones which use the Gecho engine. It was not specific in regards to Mozilla.

This is for the requirements listed for the Highspeed 3G. Can you check with them and clarify this support for what your mother uses?

Ron